Thread: Vista Reboot cycle, BSOD

Vista Reboot cycle, BSOD

Hello, everyone.

I have a problem. My mother's computer (Vista Home Basic) has underwent an odd problem recently. After a video game CD was inserted, the computer froze, gave a BSOD and rebooted. From then on, any attempt to boot (via Safe mode or Last Known Good Configuration) has met the same BSOD, followed by a reboot.

STOP: 0x0000007e (0xC0000005 0x84462292 0x887aea68 0x887ae764)

I have attempted to use the Windows DVD in order to set up the System Restore option, but it ignores the existing restore points (System Restore has been used before already). Startup Repair claims there are no errors. Memory Check returns no RAM errors, CHKDSK returns no hard drive errors.

Could anyone please help?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Vista Reboot cycle, BSOD

If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup or after Setup is complete, the computer might not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows vista.
    The computer BIOS might be incompatible with Windows XP, or it might have to be updated.
    The video adapter drivers might be incompatible with Windows XP.
    A device driver or a system service might be damaged.
    If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it might be caused by a third-party remote control program.

Vista has been installed on the computer about a year and a half ago. It's not an installation problem.

Other likely issue is a failed video graphics card, cpu fan, or a failure on your hard drive. One of the first things I would try is booting to the hard drives one at a time. Then begin ruling out things by removing or disconnecting all that you can.

Ideally, you should disconnect everything but the cpu fan, power supply, one memory module, and video card. Then boot to a floppy drive (if you have one). Get as simple as possible, until it boots, then add one component at a time, rebooting after each additional thing. For memory, remove one module, then replace modules to see if you have a change in booting.

In my experience, a failed start up after a machine that worked well the night before, is caused either by memory or a hard drive.