Thread: Domain Structure

solvent Guest

Domain Structure

Hi,
    I have two machines and a hub in my home. I want to make one machine as server and the other as a client. I have installed server2003 in the 1st machine and xp professional in 2nd machine. I have configured microsoft Loopback adator and installed AD in 1st machine. Now how do i connect these two using hub. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Domain Structure

Why do you need a hub anyway?
    If it is only 2 computers, all you need is 2 ethernet cards and a network cable (specifically attached).

I have also read other posts about connecting two computers without the use of a hub and that requires a "crossover cable"!

If you are just going to connect two System's together, it's real easy. Plug your DSL, Cable Modem into the port on the hub that says WAN, or Port 1. Most of them are marked on the back of the hub. READ your Hub Manual to be sure. From the Hub you will need to Cat 5 (I Think Through) Cables to connect the systems. And each pc needs to have its own Network cards to work.
    NOTE: Some Cisco 768 DSL require Cross Cables.

Every network connection must connect to the hub. Therefore, you'll want to put the hub in a place where it will be easy to get wires in and out of. Since you'll also have to place RJ-45 connectors on each wire (which tends to be a tedious process), you'll also want to make sure that you have plenty of room to work in and good lighting.

Finally, make sure you've located the hub in a central location. Or, at the very least, make sure that the hub is located within 300 feet of each of the PCs you're going to connect to it. If you have a large house, plan to run cables up and down walls from one corner of the house to the other or to a garage—measuring the distance you're running the cables first, of course. Ethernet signals don't transmit reliably at distances greater than 300 feet.

The actual installation of the hub is easy. Many larger hubs contain a pair of brackets in order to hang the hub on a network rack. In a closet situation, you could easily hang the hub on a pair of two-by-fours to save yourself the expense of buying a rack. Of course, you can also sit the hub on a shelf, assuming you have ample room for wiring and ventilation.