Thread: Windows Update Error code 80246005 and Cannot install Modem

Windows Update Error code 80246005 and Cannot install Modem

Hello everyone, I Encounter a problem That seem to odd to me and while some of the updates fail. I have a particular error whose code is 652 and another which is the code 80246005 when installing my updates Thourough windows update.Also I Have Another Problem Which i do not have link with this one is That I Cannot install my modem and it Gives me Error message that Cannot Load User.exe! If you can help me to resolve this. Thank you very much, Regards

Dr. V Guest

Re: Windows Update Error code 80246005 and Cannot install Modem

You can this Fix this Error, Try this :

1. Click start-run type services.msc then press enter
    2. Look for the Automatic Updates Service, right click it and choose to stop
    3. Click start->run type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution then press enter
    4. Open the DataStorage folder and delete its contents.
    5. Click start->run type services.msc
    6. right click the Automatic Update Service and choose to start
    7. Now try running the Updates again

You may encounter "Failed" messages when trying to install updates from Microsoft Windows Update. Often the error code given is 80246005. This seems to indicate a failure to complete a download of an update. Sometimes rebooting the computer, and running windows update again, will allow the upgrade to proceed after receiving error oode 80246005.

Hello , I found out that exactly for this same problem you might be able to solve it by doing this , Here's what to do:

• Find the update KB842773.
    • Remove it (in Add/Remove Programs)
    • Then do a Windows Update
    • It will then force you to re-update the KB842773 before you can update
    • anything else.
    • After re-installing this update, run Windows Update again and it will
    • download SP2.

If you receive Windows Update error 80246005 while checking for updates, it usually means that you cannot save files to the Catroot2 folder, Follow the steps below to correct these problems.

To allow files to be saved in the Catroot2 folder

Windows Update might fail if Windows cannot copy files to the Catroot2 folder or replace files that are in that folder (for example, if the folder or its files are set to read-only). To change the folder so you can write files to it, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button .
    2. In the Search box, type command prompt.
    3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. At the Command Prompt window, type attrib -h -s -r c:\windows\system32\catroot2 (where c:\ is the drive where Windows is installed), and then press ENTER.
    5. Next, type attrib -h -s -r c:\windows\system32\catroot2\*.* (where c:\ is the drive where Windows is installed), and then press ENTER.
    6. Type Exit, and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.

Hello , it might be that the Cryptographic Service was not started or is not working properly.

To check and restart the Cryptographic Service
    1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.
    2. Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. In the Services dialog box, click Windows Update (you might need to scroll down to find it; the entries are in alphabetical order).
    4. Note the status of the selection (the status appears in the third column). Right-click Windows Update and do one of the following:

• If Start is available, click Start.
      • If Restart is available, click Restart.

5. Now click Cryptographic Services (you might need to scroll up to find it).
    6. Note the status of the selection (the status appears in the third column). Right-click Cryptographic Services and do one of the following:

• If Start is available, click Start.
      • If Restart is available, click Restart.

7. Close the Services dialog box.

After trying these procedures, go to the Windows Update website and try checking for updates again.