Thread: Windows Explorer crashes and restarts over and over again

sad Windows Explorer crashes and restarts over and over again

Hi,

As written in title my windows explorer crashes and it throws up the error message and shuts down my explore.exe file, pop ups do show up but they get blocked before hand and then it restarts. This usually happens when I'm copying files from one place to another. So anyone else experience this?

Any way to track down what is causing this? Anyway looking for information or clues that might lead to the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows Explorer crashes and restarts over and over again

Refer this threads for help :

Windows Explorer Crashes

Explorer crashes and restarts

Hope you'll find solution to your problem.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

I used to have the same Windows Explorer crashing issue, and I was using Windows XP. It doesn't crash as frequently as the way you describe, but there were particular folders which I would open and they would just crash. I did a complete virus scan with Spyware Doctor (licensed) and eventually I don' experience the crash half as much. It still occurs once in awhile, but the situation has certainly improved.

Try system restore or repair your os with installation cd. And if possible format your system to get fully resolved. The problem does scream out Microsoft, since we all know how horridly-programmed Windows is. Be glad that you're working with XP, as XP Professional SP2 is the best and most stable Windows OS today, IMO. I wonder if this happens in Vista. And if it does, it won't surprise me

I have found something that is working very good for me. Check out this quote:

"Try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this handy (and free) utility: ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions. After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions. After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non Microsoft shell extensions grouped together. Next, select all these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them. Try the sequence that would previously have resulted in Windows Explorer crashing (for example browsing a folder, or right-clicking a file). If no crash occurred, one of the shell extensions you disabled has been causing the crash. To find out which one, start enabling one shell extension at a time, each time testing to make sure you can still use Windows Explorer without it crashing, until you find the shell extension that would cause Windows Explorer to crash.

ShelExView gives you all additional information you need to know such as the product & company name of the shell extension, as well as the version number. If you would like to continue using the software of the 3rd party whose shell extension is causing the Explorer crash, contact the company responsible, and check to see if there is an updated version of the software you are trying to use."
    I hope this is helpful to you .