Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

hi,
    I had a XP system running on hard drives with multiple partitions. It originally was a normal single boot system.I had Windows Vista installed (C drive) and then I decided to try out the new Windows 7. I created a new partition (D drive).it works fine but when i restart, if the DVD is not in the drive, it says BOOTMGR is Missing,Press CTRL+ALT+DEL To Restart.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help

hi,
    if are running them on seperate harddisks you should just have disabled the xp hardisk and installed windows 7 then enable the harddisk again and used bios boot menu to select the harddisk to boot from then you wouldn't have all these MBR or loader problems.

If you get the "BOOTMGR" is missing error upon startup and your tried to do a system repair, but no drive was located with an OS, try this to slove the problem:

1. try to hit the 'DEL' button upon startup and then try going into safe mode
    2. disconnect SATA cables (if any)
    3. disconnect IDE cables
    4. re-connect everything

i just wiped my hard drive and installed Windows 7. Now when I try to boot from that hard drive, I get the error message "BOOTMGR is missing. Press alt+ctrl+del to restart" What can I do? I thought about downloading that particular file and seeing if that works. Could someone help me out with this problem?

The "BOOTMGR is missing" error displays shortly after the computer is turned on, immediately after the Power On Self Test (POST) is complete. You can use others such as knoppix, ubuntu solaris. The problem is if your xp and vista doesn't see the drive then you have to fix that. Windows 7 or Windows Vista has only initially started to load when the BOOTMGR error message appears.

This fixed it for me, thank you Jesse!

This worked for me thanks for the info

Much thanks to 89virgo89. Worked like a charm!

Windows recovery will not be useful in this situation as the bootmngr itself is missing. If you have a Windows installation disk then boot from it and install a fresh copy of Windows on the hard drive. This is only solution to your problem.

Thank you 89virgo89
    fixed problem
    I had a copy of my xp system on a ide drive. I installed Windows 7 on the original system drive which is a sata drive. Everything was fine until I removed the ide drive, no bootmgr error. I think the Windows 7 install got confused and installed the bootmgr on the wrong system drive. Still simple fix thanks to 89virgo89.

Most humble and grateful thanks to 89virgo89 for the ten steps. Worked perfectly and exactly as explained.

The MBR installed by FreeBSD's installer or boot0cfg(8), by default, is based on /boot/boot0. (The boot0 program is very simple, since the program in the MBR can only be 446 bytes long because of the slice table and 0x55AA identifier at the end of the MBR.)

Re: BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

• Insert your Windows 7 DVD into your optical drive(DVD drive) and restart the system.
    • Boot using this DVD by pressing any key when windows asks "Press any key to continue..".
    • Select your language in the first screen and click "Next".
    • In this Window, select the option named "Repair your computer".
    • This tool will search for the installation directory for a minute.Once it finished, click "Next" once again.
    • Under Recovery Tool, choose the option named "Startup repair". Now,Windows will try to repair your startup problem and gives a message to restart your system.
    • Restart your system to finish the process.

Folks, I'm a newbie here but I've had a long fight with this problem so I thought my experience might help. I have three SATA hard drives with a total of 7 partitions. Everything worked fine with Vista so I didn't question the hardware when I hit the problem with Win7. After a custom install my system would boot and run fine if the Win7 disc was in the DVD drive but give the "BOOTMGR is missing" message if it wasn't. Having slogged at it for days and even had Mictosoft use Remote Access I disconnected the two data drives and left only the one with the System partition on it. The system them booted correctly. I found that one of the data drives had its partition described as Primary rather than Logical and that the problem occurred only if that drive was on the same SATA controller as the system drive. When I moved it to a different SATA controller the problem disappeared. It had all worked fine with Vista and I don't pretend to understand what happened. However, if you are having this problem I suggest unplugging all drives except the system one - it might work for you too.

Windows 7 needs to make a 100MB Reserved partition which is the active boot partition and needs to be at the start of the boot drive. If you are booting to another drive or partition first like XP or Vista this could be your problem.

Updating from Vista straight to 7 is known to be disasterous and you should install your upgrade clean.

If you want to install multiple OS's I would install 7 first then XP & Vista. It use to be that you would install the oldest OS first but that has changed.

Every time I have tried to use the Rebuild crap it never works, it seems that some things never change. Not only that but I wasted two rebuild cycles the last time where it only needed to revive a .dat file and it took 2+ hours for the first cycle and 1+ hours the second cycle and still didn't fix anything.

What I've found with 7, and I do really like 7 normally by the way, is that if your bootmgr goes south your are sol!

One other thing do your self a favor and DON'T be disconnecting and reconnecting drives with your system running there really is not need to do this and with IDE/PATA drives you could pooch your system, SMOKE!
    Last edited by Stevo1; 04-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.

I dunno if it helps but I found a few workarounds that allowed me to fix this issue with minimal fuss. The startup repair option is the best, but in my case the OS wasn't detected, so if that happens, try this:

Install to a newly created and formatted partition (you can use diskpart.exe in the command prompt if you need to shrink a partition to make some space for a new one), and Windows 7 will create the 100 MB boot system partition along with it. Allow windows 7 to install to it and it will also create a new master boot record on the 100 MB partition. The great thing about that is once it's finished, you can go back and still delete the new partition (NOT the 100 MB one). In my case, with Windows 7 Pro installed on another partition, it still booted anyway. At this point my installation also began being detected on startup repair, so even after I messed up my boot record again by setting my OS partition as active in the Computer Management utility, I was able to repair it again quickly using startup repair this time.
    Last edited by declure; 31-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.

cool Re: BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

10 step FIX Windows 7 [all versions]

1.) Boot from "WINDOWS 7" DVD;
    2.) Select "Repair computer";
    3.) Select "Cancel" to exit the repair wizard;
    4.) You will now get a screen which displays 'command prompt','system restore','memory diagnostics',etc......
    5.) Select "command prompt";
    6.) Type your "DVD-DRIVE LETTER" in command prompt, press ENTER;
    7.) Now if your Windows 7 is installed in C drive, type "copy bootmgr c:\" without codes, press ENTER;
    8.) After successful copy type "exit" without codes, press ENTER;
    9.) Reboot computer;
    10.) Select "start windows normally";
    *****NOW YOU ARE DONE*****
    Last edited by 89virgo89; 01-01-2010 at 12:49 AM.

I had a XP system running on hard drives with multiple partitions. It originally was a normal single boot system.I had Windows Vista installed (C drive) and then I decided to try out the new Windows 7. I created a new partition (D drive).it works fine but when i restart, if the DVD is not in the drive, it says BOOTMGR is Missing,Press CTRL+ALT+DEL To Restart.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help[/QUOTE]

Dr. V Guest

To fix this problem you will have to follow the steps mentioned below:
    1. Boot your computer with the Windows XP CD
    2. At the first screen select R to repair

This will take you to the console recovery prompt then select the operating system and press 1 and Enter key. Now for repairing the boot manager type in the following commands:
    fixboot
    then if prompt for confirmation type in Y and press enter.
    All the best!!!

The ERROR "BOOTMGR is Missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL To Restart." comes when the Boot manager files are missing or corrupted. The operating system needs the Boot Manager files to start. If the files are missing it prompts such error. So I think that repairing will certainly solve your issue. You can recover the Operating System by inserting the OS CD into CD-Drive. Once you repair your OS, the problem will be fixed.

as per 89virgo89's fix,

I attempted these steps and in the command prompt, I am getting an error saying invalid code or something (I can check again), the directory I was in was X:\RESOURCES\ or something I tried using E:\ or CD E:\ I couldn't even change to C:\ where I currently have WIN7 64 installed and working (a battle thus far).

windows is on C
    storage(fresh partition; same physical drive) is D
    dvd is E

i still have 2 SATA drives are awaiting being plugged in again when the bootmgr is back in his office

It all started when i was going to reinstall 64 bit (current) over 32bit on the same drive and refused to re-use the same drive.

bottom line: step 6 isn't working for me, please clarify for a noob

unsure Re: BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

I have a raid 0 (OS), and three additional one terabyte storage drives. Some how, and I don't know why, I get two boot managers. It happens a few times a year! One on the c drive or the system reserved, which SHOULD be there, and one on either of the others. What has worked for me is to use a "live CD" Ubuntu or other, and look in the root of each drive. When I find the bootmgr that should NOT be on a storage drive, I delete it. Reboot and all is well till the next time. Hope this helps... I just did it today.

P.S. Anybody know why I would get random boot mgrs on random drives, randomly??

ohmy Re: BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by 89virgo89 View Post

4.) You will now get a screen which displays 'command prompt','system restore','memory diagnostics',etc......
    7.) Now if your Windows 7 is installed in C drive, type "copy bootmgr c:\" without codes, press ENTER;
    9.) Reboot computer;

I've stuck at step 7
    When I trying to copy bootmgr program says that access is denied. What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk_cs View Post
    I've stuck at step 7
    When I trying to copy bootmgr program says that access is denied. What should I do?
    Well, basically you need to copy the copy bootmgr c: code only without the quotes, is what was actually meant to be mentioned. Or you can try the below steps:

1. First, insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.
    Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device. If you are unsure how to change this BIOS setting, please contact the computer manufacturer for more information.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar to launch Windows Recovery Environment.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. Highlight the item related to Windows 7 and click "Next".

Note: If the item related to Windows 7 don’t appear, please click “Next” directly.

5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

Bootrec.exe /REBUILDBCD

If the command is successful, close the Command Prompt window.

6. Click “Startup Repair” to perform Windows Startup Repair. After doing these computer will reboot automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by 89virgo89 View Post

9.) Reboot computer;
    Hi im john can u help me with my problem i have a lenovo S10-3 ideapad when i push the recovery system i've got this "BOOTMRG is missing press ctrl+alt+delete" thing when i start up my comp. how can i fix this?? when this laptop have no disc drive??

Please Answer ASAP
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast