Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

Re: BOOTMGR is missing after Windows 7

please help me my laptop don't have a disc drive??

maria.sizer Guest
    Do the following to resolve BOOTMGR is missing in Windows 7

1. Boot your computer with Windows 7 DVD or Windows 7 USB. Press a key when you are prompted to boot PC with Windows 7 DVD or USB
    2. When Windows 7 completes loading Setup Files. It will ask you to select the language, time and currency. Select it and Click Next
    3. On the next screen, you will see Install Now. But, below you will see “Repair your computer”. Select that.
    4. Now Windows 7 will try to check for the problems in Windows 7, before that it will search for Windows 7 Installation Drive
    5. After few seconds or minutes, it will show the problems and you should see the Problem related to Boot
    6. It will repair the Boot Record by placing the BOOTMGR properly.

Hope,you will be able to resolve the BOOTMGR is missing

You have to follows these steps

1. Remove all other hard disk but one where you have install the Window 7.

2. Insert Windows 7 install DVD and reboot.

3. It will load files and will show you welcome screen & language selection. Click Next on this screen.

4. On next screen select Repair. It will detect the issue and try to fix it and will ask for reboot.

5. After reboot, you will have to repair the process to come to this screen and select repair again. It will show you a screen with bunch of options. Select the option one “Fix the start up problems”. It will take few min and show message that system is fix click OK to reboot.

6. When reboot, remove the Windows 7 DVD and let Windows 7 load.

7. It should load properly.

8. Shutdown & attach other hard disks and reboot.

Hello all, I just created my account to share my experiences with this problem. I tried ALL of the suggestions in this forum, but none of them work other than declure's suggestion.

In my particular case I had a pc that originally had vista then we installed win7 on it on the second half of the drive. I wanted to get rid of the vista partition so I made the win7 partition active and disabled the paging file and deleted the vista partition. When I tried booting I got bootmgr is missing.

All the posts here refer to using windows recovery off of the install cd to detect your installation, however in my case windows did not detect my installation or any drives other than the install cd because of the lack of bootmgr.

89virgo89's suggestion didn't work because I couldn't access C drive because it was not detected as a valid install.

Einstein 007's suggestion didn't work because bootrec.exe also did not detect my windows as a valid install.

The following is a quote from declure:
    -----------------------
    I dunno if it helps but I found a few workarounds that allowed me to fix this issue with minimal fuss. The startup repair option is the best, but in my case the OS wasn't detected, so if that happens, try this:

Install to a newly created and formatted partition (you can use diskpart.exe in the command prompt if you need to shrink a partition to make some space for a new one), and Windows 7 will create the 100 MB boot system partition along with it. Allow windows 7 to install to it and it will also create a new master boot record on the 100 MB partition. The great thing about that is once it's finished, you can go back and still delete the new partition (NOT the 100 MB one). In my case, with Windows 7 Pro installed on another partition, it still booted anyway. At this point my installation also began being detected on startup repair, so even after I messed up my boot record again by setting my OS partition as active in the Computer Management utility, I was able to repair it again quickly using startup repair this time.
    -----------------

In my particular case windows did not create said 100 MB partition during the installation. I believe this is because I installed it on an already partitioned drive. Either way after the installation I was given the option to boot my once lost win7 os. After booting I safely deleted the new installation partition( after disabling the paging file on it and rebooting) and booted into my previous partition like it was the only one on the drive !!!!YAY!!!!

Thanks declure and good luck to everybody and their bootmgrs!!!!!

Hi guys, I thought I'd write a quick note since none of the above worked for me. What DID work was using a file called BOOTSECT.exe on the win7 dvd. If you dont want to read the rest, at the command prompt, type:
    x:\system32\bootsect.exe c: /mbr

Note: I'm just going from memory here, but am writing this since it's the only thing that worked for me.

My situation was that I partitioned my original drive into 3 sections. I installed
    --win7 (32 bit) on the partition1 as a test, then installed
    --win7(64bit) on partition2 as a test, and had
    --data on part 3. I then wanted to
    --move my second working partition2 (win7 64bit) to a new, full drive

I used Paragon copy partition (copied partition2 to the new full drive)
    When i popped my new drive in a new computer, it gave me the boot error. I had to use Paragon to make the new drive ACTIVE, then, as per the instructions in the previous posts, when you get to the command prompt, you can do a dir boot*.* and you'll see some boot related files. In that group you'll see bootsect.exe (note: you can type bootsect.exe /help for more info).

So at the command prompt, you should be at x:\system32 and you can just type bootsect.exe c: /mbr
    (again, I'm going from memory, but if you get stuck type bootsect.exe /help)

Anyway, I'm writing this for my own reference, but perhaps it helps someone else.

You can make the the thing to work out and process for need. All you need to do is to make a clean installation of the Windows Application. I hope this will really help you to get to a better conclusion and make the changes for you, It will be better and process for the ting which will get sort the issue for you and process as needed. Do look out and check.

Guys, I'm having a problem with BOOTMGR too. But my problem is abit different.
    I could successfully go through the setup screen but when it goes to "Expanding installation files..." or something like that, my computer restarts and says that BOOTMGR is missing.
    I've tried every solution in this topic but none helped. How do I solve this?

boot manger missing error occurs when u installs xp or vista, xp or win7 on single hard drive using less than 4gb ram(3gb also useful) and you have allocated system drive less than 60gb.
    to avoid this problem make sure you do not perform any sytem utilities on other system drive like anti-virus or spy-ware removal, disk defragment, disk check and boot up scheduled tasks. if u don't avoid these, you will face periodically this problem.
    if you repairs this problem you might lose your activation of your os and other product key based software like Norton anti-virus and your hardware's performance will be suffered.i suggest to re install a fresh os on hard drive.
    Last edited by singhnetserferX; 18-08-2010 at 10:16 PM.

The error is commong with winload.exe Bootmgr.exe or lack or absent at startup or during the installation of Windows. These files' s install in C: \ Windows \ System32 folder and the root of C: \ and are also available on DVD for Windows installation. For that you might need to fix the _ Bootmgr file. It is an application multiboot system (multiboot), that is the boot manager that displays a menu selection of the operating system.

johnmichle515 Guest

Hi !

This error occurs when either of the following conditions is true:
    The Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store.
    The Boot\BCD file on the active partition is damaged or missing.
    you can resolve this error by Repair your computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk_cs View Post
    When I trying to copy bootmgr program says that access is denied.
    I got the same message when I tried that a little while ago just to try to see what was going on, and I suspect that problem is caused by "bootmgr" being a "read only" file ... and that means you would first have to change that particular attribute for that file and possibly to also "unhide" it.

But overall, and after just getting *so* much help from this thread, I have returned to post this for the sake of anyone else who might ever need it:

I have three hard drives (and of those one is a SATA) here in my multi-boot system, and I got my drive order all messed up earlier this evening while experimenting with USB booting ... and my Win7 boot ended up getting knocked out completely when I inadvertently booted into my backup drive and that drive suddenly became my primary boot drive! Ugh ... and then Win7's automatic "startup repair" again proved itself completely worthless. However ...

Originally Posted by 89virgo89
    10 step FIX Windows 7 [all versions]

1.) Boot from "WINDOWS 7" DVD;
    2.) Select "Repair computer";
    3.) Select "Cancel" [or in my case "next", but whatever works in order] to exit the repair wizard;
    4.) You will now get a screen which displays 'command prompt','system restore','memory diagnostics',etc......
    5.) Select "command prompt";
    At that point, I was able to switch from "C:" to my DVD's drive letter, and to then use "bootsect.exe" and its possibilities there to repair my mbr, bootsector and BCD. Doing that knocked out my 2K and XP boots, of course, but then running "fixboot" from either (and just one) of those repair consoles easily fixed that, and now Win7's automatic "startup repair" actually will be able to fix itself on its own after the XP repair just knocked it out again.

Most interestingly here, at least to me:

Nobody at Microsoft has *ever* been as helpful to me in dealing with these kinds of troubles as what I have just found here in this thread ...

... and I thank you all, and very much!

You just saved me from paying $59.00 to be told I would have to re-install Win7!

I just joined only to post the following re. this issue that has not been stated and which worked for me...

I tried ALL of the tricks and steps here, to no avail. My setup was purely a totally NEW system I bought barebones, no OS on a 250 GB SATA and an existing IDE drive D: from my old system this one was replacing.

After making the new partition on the new SATA C: drive (and Win 7 doing that 100 MB System Reserved partition that I didn't want), I deleted the other, second, larger partition and Extended the System Reserved to take up the whole drive, then Formatted and installed 7 without a hitch, including several reboots. After the last reboot into the new, blank desktop, 7 installed two security patches and rebooted. With the install DVD out of the drive, I kept on getting "NTLDR is missing." With the DVD in the drive, it booted to the HD just fine.

So, I powered down and disconnected the IDE (slave) storage drive D: and it booted fine without the DVD disk in the drive. Plugged it back in, "NTLDR is missing." This said to me there was a "conflict" going on between the SATA and IDE right after post at boot. I move the SATA drive C: to slot #1 on the momma brd from slot #0 (DVD drive was in slot #4) and now she boots no problem.

This for a Gigabyte H55M-D2H brd with i3 540 cpu and WD drives.

Hope this helps.

Hi
    I have a slightly different issue win BootMgr in Windows 7 missing. I have tried all suggestions, but none fix the issue.

Win7 was installed on the C:\ drive, but then I made a different partition the ACTIVE partion, which I have now set back to c:\ (after I could not boot at all). H:\ is the system reserved (100Mb) partition.

Now, if I load without the Win7 DVD in the DVD drive, I get the familair bootmgr.exe is misisng, press cntl-alt-del to restart.

If I have the Win7 dvd in the dvd drive, it loads ok.

I have tried repair from the Win7 DVD and it checks and find that all boots ok . . .which is not the case.

I have 12GB RAM and 3 TB of HDD space, so that is not a factor.

How can I get this resolved?
    Thanks
    Dean

Hi
    Just after I posted this, I had an epiphany!
    I checked the drives via manage and found there was another drive also marked as active. I reformatted it and now, Win7 boots without the DVD.
    Cheers
    Dean

Pls need your help
    my laptop is dell inspiron 1440
    CPU: Core 2 dou
    Ram:2gb
    HDD: 300Gb
    CD/DVD drive

its original OS was windows vista so I change it to Windows 7 ultimate...

so before it was broken. it normally hangs allot so what I did was I dont normally shutdown my computer until when I turned on the computer the computer says "Bootmgr is missing Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart"...
    the CD/Drive works fine...
    There is no OS on my HDD because I already formatted all of it...when I try to install the OS windows 7 it suddenly hangs...so I stop installing it...

when I try to install the OS again this message appear"Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. the error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057" how will I fix my laptop?

Microsoft Windows 7 has shaped the MBR information which has someway screwed all up. You should totally format your complete HDD meaning to exchange all its sectors to all zeros. Just utilize the DOS tool called Kill Disk 4.1 for that! I wish this will solve your problem. Let me know the output.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast