Thread: Windows Vista Product Key and Activation (Parallels for Mac)

Windows Vista Product Key and Activation (Parallels for Mac)

I used boot camp to install install Windows Vista on my new mac computer and now I want to use the parallel desktop software for it as well but my system thinks that the product key is already being activated and it cannot be redone after many attempts. What steps should I take to correct it. Thank you for any response.

Re: Windows Vista Product Key and Activation (Parallels for Mac)

Well if you just want to use OS X only, use Boot Camp Assistant to delete your Windows partition.

If you still want to use Windows, and you have a legitimately purchased copy of Windows Vista Home Premium that you do not also have installed on another computer (you can only install it on one machine), you can contact Microsoft and they will issue you a new product key so you can properly activate Vista.

How can I change the registered owner of Windows Vista?
    With four steps you can change the registered owner and organization just with just changing two registry files.

1. Go to Start and type in Regedit in the search box and click Enter.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows NT / CurrentVersion.
    3. Open with a double click the files RegisteredOwner and RegisteredOrganization and modify the names to what you like to.
    4. Reboot your computer and you are ready to go.

In Window Vista you can upgrade your version to higher level such as Vista ultimate but you have to insert your Vista DVD to install all new files too. But you can change your product key in three easy steps which allows you to activate your Windows Vista properly. You need only one command line to change your Vista serial number.

How can I change my Windows Vista product key?
    1. Go to Start / Programs /Accessories / Right click on the Command Prompt / click on Run As Administrator
    2. In the administrator command prompt, type in this command "slmgr.vbs -ipk <write your product key in this area>"
    3. After you changed your Vista serial number you can activate windows Vista with this command "slmgr.vbs -ato"

You can change your product key through a link in the System Properties window (to get there right-click on Computer and select Properties in the menu.) At the bottom of the System Properties window (in the "Windows activation" section) there is a blue link with the words "Change product key" and a small shield icon next to it. Your system might need a second or two to display it.

Let me know if that works for you. Thank you!