Thread: Vista 32 to Vista 64 upgrade

Vista 32 to Vista 64 upgrade

Hi,
    i bought a new Dell's 14-inch Inspiron 1420 laptop and it comes with vista home premium 32.I am planning to go for 64 transfer from my 32-home primium and i wanted to ask is that possible to upgrade vista 64 bit from vista 32 bit.just wanted to ask you all, having 64 already installed...Is it worth it? Will I be able to work with all the other soft I have in 32-bit version? As far as I know, I just need to get the 64 bit media. Is this correct? Thanks

Re: Vista 32 to Vista 64 upgrade

You need to have purchased the Windows Vista Upgrade (Or Full version) - in this case, we'll be using Vista Business 32-bit Upgrade. You will then have to access the 64-bit version from here.

After you get hold of the editions, x86 and x64, follow these steps:
    • Back up all the data and the settings by using Windows XP Backup.
    • Note You can also use Windows Easy Transfer. This back up program is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that is on the 32-bit Windows Vista DVD if you want to use Windows Easy Transfer to back up a 32-bit version of Windows.
    • Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
    • Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted. Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit operating system.
    • When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select Custom as the installation type.
    • After installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup location.

An upgrade to Windows Vista An upgrade to Windows Vista preserves the personal files, the settings, and the programs that are currently installed. You can upgrade only from one 64-bit version of Windows Vista to certain other versions of Windows Vista. See the individual upgrade paths later in this article to find out whether this option is available for your current operating system.

hi,
    Upgrading a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system is possible If you purchase a 64-bit upgrade version of Windows Vista with the intention of installing on a computer that is running a 32-bit operating system, you must install Windows Vista by starting the computer from the 64-bit Vista installation DVD. Important Do not remove the previous operating system before you start the indows Vista installation. This is because Windows Vista Setup has to verify that your current operating system license supports the installation of a 64-bit upgrade version.