Thread: Vista does not recognize SD cards greater than 1 gb

Vista does not recognize SD cards greater than 1 gb

hello, i have windows Vista Ultimate and windows Home Premium with SP1 the problem is my pc does NOT recognize SD cards greater than 1 gb in size. It recognizes 1 gb SD and card which are less than i gb in size but anything higher, it requires that I format it down to 1 gb. This is 100% repeatable by me and apparently a few thousand other people, according to a Google search on "vista sd problem". Applying "hot fixes" fixes nothing.i am think of degrading to windows xp

thanks for you suggestion

Re: Vista does not recognize SD cards greater than 1 gb

I am running Vista Business edition on my Laptop. I have both a SD card reader in-built into the laptop as well as using an external card reader. All my SD (Normal SD and Mini) cards are about 2GB and above. I don’t have such problems on any of my card readers. I have another 2 machines that are running the same config with no problems. It could be an OEM driver issue rather than a Vista issue.

SD Memory Card Formatting Software
    This software formats SD Memory Card and SDHC Memory Card(SD/SDHC Memory Card) using a formatting program that complies with the SD Memory Card specification SD formatting provides quick and easy access to the SD Memory Card.

Generally, SD/SDHC Memory Card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with the SD Memory Card specification.

Procedure to Install
    • Install the software on the Windows after finishing the download.
    • Close all program applications.
    • Execute the installer file. Install the SD Memory Card Formatting Software following the instructions of the installation window.

• Do not format recordable media other than SD/SDHC Memory Cards using this software. If you have mistakenly formatted a recordable media other than the SD/SDHC Memory Card, reformat the media using the appropriate formatting software that came with the media.
    • Do not remove the SD/SDHC Memory Card while formatting.
    • Once formatting has started, all previously recorded data will be erased.
    • Do not format the SD/SDHC Memory Card while the write protection switch is on.
    • If the SD formatting software does not recognize the SD/SDHC Memory Card, re-insert the card and click on "Refresh".
    • SD formatting is not possible on unrecognizable "removable drives".
    • Cannot be used on a Macintosh system.
    • This software does not cope with the copyright protection. If you use a card for some equipment with copyright protection such as SD Audio Player, the formatting must be done by the specific formatting software prepared by the equipment provider.
    • In some cases SD/SDHC Memory Cards may not be recognized by the SD formatting software immediately after installation of SD/SDHC Memory Card compatible reader/writer driver software. If this occurs, re-start your computer and try again.
    • If you are using a USB drive and the SD formatting software does not recognize the SD/SDHC Memory Card even after re-inserting it, remove the USB cable while the SD/SDHC Memory Card is still inserted in the drive and after about 10 seconds reconnect the USB cable and click on the "Refresh" button.
    • Some reader/writers cannot use "erase operation".
    • In case of formatting of SDHC Memory Card, the reader/writer supporting SDHC Memory Card is needed.

Download from here

Dr. V Guest

there was this updates if vista KB 936825 . This is a Vista SD Rollup package See if that will fix it. download from here

The following new features are enabled in this package:
    • Support for SD High Capacity (SDHC) cards that are 8 gigabytes (GB) or larger in Windows Vista.
    • Support for dual voltage (1.8-volt and 3.3-volt) Secure Digital/MultiMediaCards (SD/MMC) cards in Windows Vista.
    • Support for Secure Digital Input Output (SDIO) cards in Windows Vista.

SDIO cards use an interface that adds functionality for a range of devices, such as GPS devices, Ethernet adapters, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth adapters, modems, scanners, fingerprint readers, bar-code readers, IrDA adapters, FM radio tuners, TV tuners, digital cameras, hard drives, and so on.

run msconfig command and go to boot->advanced options to ensure the "Max memory" is unchecked. Besides, contact manufacturer to see if any update of SD drive for Windows Vista at their side.