Thread: updating Windows xp home oem sp1 wih retail full XP home sp3

updating Windows xp home oem sp1 wih retail full XP home sp3

I have a older Toshiba Satellite A15-s1292 laptop. It came with a Toshiba recovery disk. I am not sure if this is called OEM or not, but it installs XP and programs like Word, and several trial products, along with all the drivers needed for the system to work..
    -
    When I go to SYSTEM it reports
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Verson 2002
    Service pace 1
    KEY 5 digits-OEM-7 digits- 5 digits
    *****-OEM-*******-*****
    -
    I just purchased a full retail version of XP Home sp3 to install on a system my son built.
    -
    Can I use this retail full XP Home sp3 disk to update my Toshiba laptop to SP3?
    The retail disk has a key code with 5 sets of 5 digits/letters.
    Example 123cm-xp345-34564-cm345-cjx554
    -
    I have dial up and cannot download the service packs. At one time I had used a friends DSL and updated to sp3 but since had to restore with the Toshiba disk which wiped the hard drive clean, (not caused by sp3 related problem).
    -
    The system my son built is running fine but we just finished it 2 days ago and have not activated the full retail XP installed on it yet.
    My Toshiba disk is activated.
    Thank you in advance..

Re: updating Windows xp home oem sp1 wih retail full XP home sp3

Why dont you completely reformat and reinstall windows xp with the retail version that you have purchased?

Yes you can use the windows sp3 on your toshiba laptop. but you can install the operating system only on one machine legally. either your desktop computer or your laptop. using the same operationg system on two different machines would be considered as piracy. [ buy two operating system Licence if you want to use it on two different machines] if you install the Licence on your laptop, you will have to install it afresh. clean new setup!

Thanks for the replies!
    If I just do a complete install with the new disk, I will loose some of the integrated programs I use that came with the Toshiba disk like, MS Works, DVD software, movie maker, ect..
    There is quite a bit of software just for the laptop such as a modem program, battery power settings, Toshiba help and driver update program, I think I would loose those too?
    -
    -
    I was surprised how little the retail version actually offered such as, no DVD software or CD copy software,
    -
    But the main goal is to update my Toshiba with sp1 to sp3.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    Why dont you completely reformat and reinstall windows xp with the retail version that you have purchased?
    The retail version i purchased Is for the desktop my son and I built and I will have to activate it for that computer.
    -
    I have my original Toshiba disk but it only has sp1 on it.. I only have dial up and certainly don’t want to download the updates. I can go to a friends house and use their DSL, but I was hoping there was a way to install the updates from the full retail version I bought that has them on it.
    -
    I have a 2 gig jump drive but I guess it is not possible to download the updates to it and do an install either?
    -
    I had the laptop updated once before but had to change the hard drive and haven’t updated it yet.
    That was a bummer as it wasn’t the hard drive but rather a memory stick gone bad.. It was stuck in a reboot cycle and I tried to use the restore disk and so it formatted the old drive and after installing, went back to the reboot cycle again. I bought a new hard drive and had then same problem.. Only then did I think to remove the memory one by one!!!