Thread: SSH and NFS help!

SSH and NFS help!

Hello,

do ssh alone can serve as a replacement for NFS file sharing linux?

What is the point of adding nfs over ssh ssh given that I only do exactly the same and even more than before nfs alone?

Re: SSH and NFS help!

one could say that nfs shares can be mounted in the tree as a local directory, which requires for ssh sshfs to go through, or use the fish protocol KDE or gnome equivalent. But by and large I believe NFS does nothing really more interesting than ssh. But the reverse is true.

NFS and SSH do not have the same utility. The goal of NFS is to share files over the network .. It is not the purpose of SSH.

What is the point of adding nfs over ssh ssh given that I only do exactly the same and even more than before nfs alone?
    I would say "What is the point of using SSH? NFS enough." You can mount from the NFS 4, using encryption and NFS performance level is higher than SSH. What are your needs?

SHFS, NFS, SMB, ... have the same functionality for the operation as a file sharing (or almost). SSHFS asks only to configure the client (installed sshfs and added a line in fstab), the server is usually installed by default. NFS, SMB, ... Configuration requires a separate and perhaps even a server for authentication. To not take the lead between two machines, SSHFS I think the easiest solution:

Thank you for your responses. I noticed that the remote folder is not automatically installed on the desktop. I'll see if it is feasible.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"