Thread: Windows XP and Linux dual boot

Windows XP and Linux dual boot

Can I dual boot windows XP and Linux in my system. I have Windows XP 32 bit already installed in the NTFS file format. So wanted to know if I can install Linux on this hard disk. Please help me.

Re: Windows XP and Linux dual boot

You want to leave the Windows boot loader (NTLDR) on the MBR (Master Boot Record). This allows you to continue to boot Windows with no issues. I've heard that Windows 2000/Windows XP or anti-virus software may complain if the MBR does not contain the Windows boot loader

You can use either GRUB or LILO to dual-boot Windows 2000/Windows XP and Linux. Both functionally work fine, but from what I've read, GRUB requires less maintenance, as LILO requires you to reinstall the boot loader (by running /sbin/lilo) every time you rebuild the kernel or make changes to /etc/lilo.conf.

Also this thread - Dual-boot XP / Linux

Sure. Linux can, if you take care, easily fit in 5-6 gigs. (personally, I run a trimmed system on a 4.7gig drive with about 35% free.) There was an issue with fedora's install, however, it could easily be fixed by switching the drive to LBA mode in bios.

Thanks for the info. However, my main partition is NTFS, and I've heard linux can't read/write to NTFS. Would I have to make a new Fat32 partition, or is there some way to get linux to read my main partition?

I'm dual booting fedora and xp. It's alot easier if you have a second hard drive installed. My primary is xp and slave is fedora. If you do it that way just download the iso's for linux and burn them as an image onto a cd. Then reboot with the cd it will walk you through in the install. Mine is set to have boot loader on my primary drive with an option to select which os at startup. Default is windows so if i don't select anything xp will load. The linux forums have a lot of help on dual-booting on one drive, which is more complicated because you have to do specific petitions. But just to let you know before you can see your windows drive content in linux, you have to mount the drive and that can be more complicated if you are using ntfs.

Quote Originally Posted by israar View Post
    Thanks for the info. However, my main partition is NTFS, and I've heard linux can't read/write to NTFS. Would I have to make a new Fat32 partition, or is there some way to get linux to read my main partition?
    You may get some help regarding your confusion over ntfs here:
    Dual boot Fedora Linux and Windows XP, resizing NTFS

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris- View Post
    You want to leave the Windows boot loader (NTLDR) on the MBR (Master Boot Record). This allows you to continue to boot Windows with no issues. I've heard that Windows 2000/Windows XP or anti-virus software may complain if the MBR does not contain the Windows boot loader

You can use either GRUB or LILO to dual-boot Windows 2000/Windows XP and Linux. Both functionally work fine, but from what I've read, GRUB requires less maintenance, as LILO requires you to reinstall the boot loader (by running /sbin/lilo) every time you rebuild the kernel or make changes to /etc/lilo.conf.
    Now when i have installed linux on my system along with vista which was already there When i start my system it goes to grub where it shows me 'fedora alpha 11' and 'others 'as an option.To boot windows vista if i select 'others' it shows me MBR missing,how can i resolve this,i hope u got my point,pls let me know if not clear wid the problm