Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

Post Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

I'm having a huge problem with an update, it won't go in. I'll get an error code 646. At the same time, my Windows Vista will show it's been downloaded. I'm constantly having to have it shut down, it makes me think the update has taken, but it hasn't. Any ideas of what I can do?? It's been like this since 12/12/08. It keeps telling me it's failed to install.

System error code 646 means "The driver was not loaded because the system is booting into safe mode." This error code may also display as "ERROR_NOT_SAFE_MODE_DRIVER" or as the value 0x286. So are you booting into safe mode ?

Yes, I'm booting in a safe mode. I'm not getting the other code you. In safe mode, you're saying when I see the security shield, it's telling me that I have something that needs to be downloaded, right?

Why you booting into safe mode only. Try to boot in normal mode.

I've tried both, I've allowed it to do as normal, when I would shut it down in the safe mode. It would say, downloading update one of one, do not shut off computer. Then it would shut itself off, I'd turn it back on again and now it's showing up again. The same thing over and over again. It's like Ground Hog Day the movie. I'm on a Home Edition of Windows Vista 32 bit. This is getting to be ridiculous.

Turning off the firewall has no effect. All nine updates continue to fail for the same reason, "Code 646", whatever that means.

Refer this.... How to Manually Download and Install Windows Vista Updates

I'm having the same problem and tried both "fixes" (disable firewall; manual download). Neither worked. Have these worked for anyone? Any other ideas?

You must call microsoft at 866-727-2338 and they will have a tech call you back when it's the best time for you. The tech will ask for your permission to have control of your computer and will have you set up within a half hour or so.

On my system(inspiron 1545) i was recieving this error and corrected the issue by turning my UAC(User Account Control) off. Maybe this'll help you all.

I am running a new install of Windows 7. I had all of the same problems described above and tried all of the same solutions above. Nothing worked until CrackrJack's suggestion to turn off User Account Control. All updates are now installing fine. THANKS CrackrJack!

CRACKRJACK31 thanks i have not been able to download my updates for around 6 weeks i had 16 updates. I done the whole firewall thing and the let others in however i done the user account thing you suggested and DONE so big ty

I was finally able to rsesolve error code 646 - unknown.....error message. I have Vista with MSOffice 2007... by turning off the (UAC) User Account Control. Then running The windows upgrade installation and rebooting computer. all 5 kB patches installed sucessfully. Remember to turn ON the UAC after the install is completed.

To Crackrjack31; worked like a dream, 16 updates mostly for Microsoft Office without a hitch. You have beaten both Microsoft's and Fujitsu's own support teams, maybe they should spend some time here.
    go to start then ur pic the turn off user account they will download then

I tried several times to download 7 updates from Microsoft. Each time it failed, and I received the same code 646.

I then turned off my my UAC(User Account Control), and turned off my firewall. I restarted and ran the updates again- it FINALLY worked!!

I was having the same issues with receiving error code 646 until I tried what Crackrjack suggested which was to turn off my UAC (User Account Control). It worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

Crackrjack31- thanks,turning off the uac (User Account Control) was the only thing needed to get my updates to download. If everyone else who gets this 646 error code hasn't tried this you really should seems to be working for everyone else who has tried and posted it here....
    Hi everyone.. i had this problem,,,your first port of call is to turn off your User Account control...you will have to turn your computer off then back on again after switching your u/a off.
    ughh ooo...whats your u/a?? how do I turn it off

Thanks Crackrjack31. That solution worked for me, also. All updates installed once I turned off User Account.

im having problems with downloading my updates :@ im being tolld i have 10 important updates but thier all being failed under the code of 80070652 and code 646 =/ can someone help me please???

CrackrJack31 and JayScott... Thanks, one of my customers had this problem and I believe there is a glitch in the UAC vs Windows Update that upon initializing an update the User Account Control settings that typically pop up to request the User's permission to access the administrator rights is not performing that function during updating. Removing the User Account Control requisite allowed all downloads to install. Again, thanks! ~ We Serve Techs

Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

Unfortunately, I am also receiving this Code 646 error over and over again. In my case, there are nine "important" updates for MS-Office and Windows Vista that continually fail.

I am NOT booting in Safe Mode or doing anything uncommon. One time I even tried disabling automatic virus checking (PC-cillin) to see if it might be interfering, but that was not the case.

Suggestions? Thanks!

• The solution, in a nutshell, is to disable your firewall. If you’re using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus, F-Secure Internet Security, Norton Internet Security or another Firewall vendor, see its respective support page for assistance in disabling it (temporarily). If you’re using the built-in Vista Firewall, keep reading.

• Open the Control Panel and select Security.

• Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off.

• Select Off (not recommended), click Apply and then OK.

• Back at the Windows Update screen, click the Try again button.

• The download(s) and installation should start…

• and this time successfully install. If a restart is required, make sure to re-enable your Firewall once your PC restarts.

• Though this solution will work for most Vista Update errors

Quote Originally Posted by SiameseMom View Post
    I've tried both, I've allowed it to do as normal, when I would shut it down in the safe mode. It would say, downloading update one of one, do not shut off computer. Then it would shut itself off, I'd turn it back on again and now it's showing up again. The same thing over and over again. It's like Ground Hog Day the movie. I'm on a Home Edition of Windows Vista 32 bit. This is getting to be ridiculous.
    Here is my take on this. I have had similar problem, but this is what I discovered. I also have Vista and had "646 error" code. What I discovered has nothing to do with safe mode--I loaded updates in normal mode.

The "important" security updates I needed were fine. But there was an important security update for Outlook. This update failed. Why? Well its not my default mail program. The program is loaded, but I do not use it. A junk e-mail filter also failed because it thinks I'm using it. But Again, Outlook is not my default mail program. So I believe if you are not using a particular program (default) any update to it will fail. And for some reason, I got an update for Office 2003. I'm using 2007. That also failed. Not sure why it thinks I'm using 2003. And normal mode is also suggested.

Ok, I did try this and I wouldn't work for me. It could be depending on what update you are downloading, mine happens to be the Microsoft Office SP1 which seems to be pretty important to me but, this might help others.

The solution, in a nutshell, is to disable your firewall. If you’re using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus, F-Secure Internet Security, Norton Internet Security or another Firewall vendor, see its respective support page for assistance in disabling it (temporarily). If you’re using the built-in Vista Firewall, keep reading.

* Open the Control Panel and select Security.

* Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off.

* Select Off (not recommended), click Apply and then OK.

* Back at the Windows Update screen, click the Try again button.

* The download(s) and installation should start…

* and this time successfully install. If a restart is required, make sure to re-enable your Firewall once your PC restarts.

* Though this solution will work for most Vista Update errors

Dr. V Guest

I'm having this same problem, can't install this update. I've turned off the firewall, virus protection.This problem is actually happening from the fact that there are some registry files that have been corrupted, damaged or deleted.I can't believe this update can't install without the user having to go through all these contortions to get it processed. You'll have to verify that these are the updates that fail to install.If they're not then go to the Microsoft Download Center and get the ones that you're having problems with.

I also want to endorse Crackrjack31's suggestion to turn off User Account Control. I am using Vista and wasted HOURS trying to get 13 updates to install. I tried turning off Norton but that didn't work. But once I turned off User Account Control, all 13 updates finally were installed. Is there any downside to allowing User Account Control to remain off? Security updates from Microsoft arrive rather frequently, and I'd like them to be installed in the middle of the night, the way it used to happen.

To FIX error code 646: Go to Microsoft download center, and download each
    KB number for each download seperately. i.e.
    KB974561, etc. they have that number listed on each important update to be installed. As each update is being installed, look for the KB number and write it down. when U have them all, go to the update center and download 1 of 3 then go back to the update center and download the next one, and the next one until done. U can find the downloads by entering "download kb974561 or whatever the real nbr is in the search bar and click go. after U download them all and close down everything, go to the control panel and click on windows update. Instead of showing 3 important updates it may show 2 updates. click install, and it should install them with no more problems. Click on windows update again and it should show your computer is up to date. There it is, the long way around.

I have had exactly the same problem both with Microsfot Office 2003 and 2007. Turning the firewall on or off makes no difference in this instance. I have yet to see if Crackrjack31's solution works although at present the machine works faster with User Account Control turned off. Curiously this only happens in the machine I have running Windows Vista Business, it doesn't make any difference on a another machine running Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Last edited by Globetrotter36; 01-12-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: error in naming poster plus additional information.

I tried a few of the suggestions above and none worked for me! What did work was going to Microsoft Download Centre (www.microsoft.com/downloads)
    and typing the name of the download along with any code in (brackets) and downloading this way. I had 2 priority updates and 3 optional updates I did the 2 that were priority this way then restarted my computer and the other 3 downloading and intalled normally after doing so...Hope this helps someone

ThumbsUp Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

I had same problem, this is what Microsoft emailed me to do, & it worked.
    I found these updates were all Office updates. I would like to explain that this type of update issue is handled by Office support team. I suggest we first try to manually download and install those failed updates. However, if they cannot be installed successfully using this method, we can conclude our issue is related to Office components. In this situation, Office support team is better qualified to be your assistance. Thank you for your understanding.

Step 1: Turn off UAC (use MSCONFIG)

============================

1. Click Start. Type MSCONFIG in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

Note: If UAC window prompts for permission to continue, please click Continue.

2. Click Tools.

3. Highlight Disable UAC, click Launch.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue again.

Note: If you turn on UAC, please launch Enable UAC

If the steps do not work, let's refer to the following steps to manually download and install the updates.

Manually download and install updates

==============================

1. Visit Microsoft Download Center: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

2. Use the IDs of Windows Updates to find the download links. For example, you can use the key word KB972363 to find the link to download update 972363.

3. Download updates from the links and save them to the desktop. Double click on the installation files and install the updates manually.

However, if the updates still fail, we may need to submit an Office case. Thank you for your understanding. Please help me capture a screenshot when the failure comes up so that I can check if we need to submit a new case.

I finally found out why!!!

I have been having the same error code 646 for over a month. When you are asked to update you have to make sure you check mark all updates then an Agreement window to "decline or accept". Check accept. This window didn't show up during the normal update button. Very fusterating! Once I Accepted the Agreement, it updated. Yahoo.........

Thanks CrackrJack.

That Worked.

Turning Off The UAC Worked Fine.

Wondering Why Microsoft Couldn't Tell Us About This A Lot Earlier!

smile Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

hey guys i just had this problem and its actually a simply thing try this go to start then to ur pic then turn user account on or off turn it off by unchecking the box after the pop up and it will then update its as simple as that i went through a tech and this was all that needed to be done did it on all 3 of my vista comp good luck i finally have mine updated all 5

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast