Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

ThumbsUp Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

Quote Originally Posted by Crackrjack31 View Post
    On my system(inspiron 1545) i was recieving this error and corrected the issue by turning my UAC(User Account Control) off. Maybe this'll help you all.
    Crackrjack's solution helped me as well and I appreciate very much this advice. I had this error some months before and I solved it with renaming the "SoftwareDistribution" folder to "SoftwareDistribution 1" (any other name works as well) under the Windows folder. You must be in Safe Mode in order to perform this operation. The Windows update created a new folder "SoftwareDistribution". But it didn't work this time. So this is greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Crackrjack31!

Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

Quote Originally Posted by SiameseMom View Post
    I'm having a huge problem with an update, it won't go in. I'll get an error code 646. At the same time, my Windows Vista will show it's been downloaded. I'm constantly having to have it shut down, it makes me think the update has taken, but it hasn't. Any ideas of what I can do?? It's been like this since 12/12/08. It keeps telling me it's failed to install.
    Reply:

• Control panel
    • User Accounts
    • User Accounts
    • Turn User Account Control On/Off
    • Unselect Box
    • Let Computer restart
    • Run Windows Updates-they complete
    • Go Back to User Accounts
    • Turn it on again - computer restarts

question Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

I am having simliar if not the same problem. It says I have a download that needs to be installed I tried it said there was an error..I took all the steps to fix the problem with no success. Is says I have an important update, Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB977719)

Download size: 3.3 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

This update provides the Junk E-mail Filter in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 with a more current definition of which e-mail messages should be considered junk e-mail.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977719

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

i still vcant figure out what to do..I am not the brightest crayon in the box but I surely can figure this out with alittle help!

dogus12: I had the same problem. I got this advice from crackrjack31, and it solved the problem. Click on Start.
    Click Control Panel. Click User Accounts. Click User Accounts again. Click "Turn user accounts on or off". Click the box to turn off user account. Now run the update from Vista. It should work. Now go back and turn on User Account Control, using the path you used to turn if off. Good luck.

idea Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

I found the best way to get the Update to finish, after going thru all the steps advised, except the managing the user control (I had no idea what that meant)...I went to Microsoft.com and searched for the codes that wouldn't download and manually did it that way. Restarted my computer and then clicked back on the Updates and it finished without anymore problems.

I think I should have just done that from the start. Going thru and turning off my firewall protection didn't help anyways, since I not only have Windows firewall protection but McAfee as well...which I couldn't turn off. So that didn't seem to help when I did that step.

Hope that this helps a little bit. Thank you to everyone before me for your advice...I don't think calling tech support would be a good idea, as you may end up having to pay for it.

Good luck to all!

Take care,
    God Bless,
    Julie D

Mom2Twins: Glad you solved it. I had it happen again yesterday and fixed it as before (learned from this thread). As follows:
    click on:
    Start.
    Control Panel.
    User Accounts
    User Accounts (in the new window)
    Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off.
    check the box to turn off UAC.
    click "OK".
    restart computer.
    run Microsoft updates.
    reverse procedure to turn UAC back on.

Thanks for the suggestion. I printed your response for next update. I'll try to remember to let you and others know if it does the trick.

But now I have issues with sleep mode. Won't stay in sleep for longer than 5 min's or so. Any ideas? I tried power settings--nada.

You have to make certain there actually is a sleep mode issue. You try it to put it in a sleep mode for a few times. If you are still having problem you are able to securely say you have a sleep mode issue. You have to see if your system's essential input/output system (BIOS) has sleep mode turned off. The Sleep mode and additional power-saving states are frequently turned off in a system's BIOS by evasion. Then you restart your system then the systems BIOS will come into view when the system boots up. After proceeds the BIOS setup arrangement. If then also not solve then you can contact the manufacturer so that they can solve your problem.

CrackrJack31 - YOU are a ROCKSTAR! Thank you so much for the fix! Ive been dealing with that code error all week - googled the error - saw your post and voila! Love it! Thanks!

ThumbsUp Re: Problem With Download From Vista Error Code 646

I don't know who originally told me how to remedy error code 646 (I did do individual updates from MS website, but it took too long). Then someone said turn off User Account Control. Whoever you are, just a word to let you know IT WORKS!!!!

Last couple of updates I shut it off(of course it asks to restart) but if there are 3-4 security updates, doing them one-by-one can be tedious. UAC in off mode is a snap. Just wanted to let you know--in case you wondered--your suggestion was successfully utilized. Thanks.

This worked for me! Would never had known about disabling UAC. Had tried stopping all firewalls with no luck.

Thank you for your post.

I had this problem too... go to your start menu and on the right hand side above the computer name where the picture is...click the picture at the bttm of this page click "Turn User Account Control on or off " then uncheck the box and click ok...then click restart then after restart install updates then do the reverse to turn the User Account Control back on. good luck if you have any questions let me know

I found a kb fix with Microsoft that worked perfectly and quick.
    A manual reg edit is also avalible if you dont trust microsoft fixit

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2258121

-pat

After a lot of frustration with 14 critical updates not working, I found the solution that worked for my computer:

1. Click on the Start Menu
    2. Click on the picture above your name (the icon picture)
    3. Go to the bottom setting: "Turn User Account Control on or off" and click
    on it.
    4. Uncheck the box and turn the user account controls off
    5. Now go to Windows Update and all updates should install properly
    6. Restart the computer and go back and follow the same steps once all
    updates have installed and recheck the User Account Controls turning
    user account controls back on.

I hope this helps. It worked for my Vista Dell system.

Thank you. I have already been alerted to this solution and the rest of the jury seems to agree this is manner to solve this issue. I've tried it and it works.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast