Thread: Corrupted file - chkdsk and defrag problem

sad Corrupted file - chkdsk and defrag problem

I had an error msg which asked that I run the chkdisk utility. I was finally able to do that using cmd prompt, but it was not able to repair the bad sector. I decided to uninstall the software which I had just installed a couple of days ago, Pinnacle, where the bad file was. But I was not able to remove the corrupted file - c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files\programs\pclePvr\supported3\sources\pinnacle PCTV801e(USB2)\

Also, it seems that I cannot even run defrag on my c: drive now. What should I do to correct the above problems?
    Appreciate anyone's help.
    Thanks very much, CL

Re: Corrupted file - chkdsk and defrag problem

I think you are using Windows XP. Just you need to do is repair your OS. Just take a boot CD of your OS and use the repair option. It will repair all corrupted files you'll not need to install your programs again . Good luck

Well, actually that problem can be solved easily, using this few steps.

The things that you will need:

Windows XP Operating System

Windows XP CD

Steps:

1) First place the CD into your CD/DVD Drive.

2) Go to start

3) type “run”

4) type in “sfc /scannow” (without the “)

Now, it should load and fix all your corrupted file on Windows XP.

Duplicate content : Corrupted file and defrag problems.
    Please don't post double content in Tech arena forum

Exclamation Re: Corrupted file - chkdsk and defrag problem

My operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate. I have some corrupt files that won't let me run my computer in normal mode. When I log on in normal mode a message comes up saying that there was an error and that I need to verify whether my version of Windows is genuine. Every time I scan my computer for viruses some files are unreadable and therfore the antivirus program slows down my computer. Please could somebody give me a solution on how to repair corrupted files. I have tried using Chkdsk in boot mode but it doesn't work. Chkdsk deleted some of the corupted files and repaired some of them but most of them were not fixed. If anybody has a solution please could you email me my email address is Thank You
    Last edited by Yogesh; 09-04-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Personal details removed.

Restore the lost file from a recent backup. Many programs create backups automatically. Microsoft Word, for example, backs up ".doc" files as ".wbk" files under the same folder. In this case, rename the ".wbk" file as ".doc" to open it.

Use the Windows Disk Utility. If you run Windows 98 or Millennium, click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and Scan Disk. Select the appropriate drive. Click Thorough Check, Automatically Fix Errors and then press Start. If you run Windows 2000 or XP, open My Computer and right-click on the drive. Select Properties and then Tools. Check the "Now" option. Check both available options and click Start.

Utilize the System Restore tool after an installation or accidental disk format. A feature of Windows XP and Millennium, it rolls system files back to an earlier state when everything worked. Software installations, updates or removals sometimes make unwanted changes to the system.

Quote Originally Posted by cln View Post
    I had an error msg which asked that I run the chkdisk utility. I was finally able to do that using cmd prompt, but it was not able to repair the bad sector. I decided to uninstall the software which I had just installed a couple of days ago, Pinnacle, where the bad file was. But I was not able to remove the corrupted file - c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files\programs\pclePvr\supported3\sources\pinnacle PCTV801e(USB2)\

Also, it seems that I cannot even run defrag on my c: drive now. What should I do to correct the above problems?
    Appreciate anyone's help.
    Thanks very much, CL
    i have same concern in performance wants me to run chkdsk before i can defrag.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswalkerj View Post
    i have same concern in performance wants me to run chkdsk before i can defrag.
    There is no harm in checking the hard disk with the chkdsk features which actually fixes some bad sectors of the hard drive and solves somewhat of the hard drive slowing down problem. You can also check disk via the command prompt by following the below method:

1.Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    3.Use one of the following procedures:
    ◦To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
    ◦To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.