Thread: Win xp in a linux: samba

Win xp in a linux: samba

Hello,
    I would like to know how many registry key minimum should he change to a post integrated with Win XP Pro in a field with a Samba server.

Re: Win xp in a linux: samba

Windows XP Login to Linux/Unix Samba Networking

Q. I just clean-installed Windows XP Pro and used the same workgroup, PC name, use account name, and password. I previously ran Windows 200 Pro and it had no problem connecting to my private account on a Red Hat Linux server running Samba for Windows networking. I can see accounts on the server with guest access, but my private, password-protected account is no longer visible in My Network Places. How do I configure Windows XP to access it?

A. Click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, click the specific user, and in Related Tasks at the top of the resulting window, choose Manage my network passwords. In the Stored User Names and Passwords window that results, click the Add button. In the Server: text box, Enter the Linux/Unix server name. My server is simply called Linux. In the User name: text box, Enter server name/user name; e.g., linux/lbyard. and enter the password. Reboot. With the Windows Explorer, look in My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, the workgroup name, for the linux server name, and click the + beside it. You should then see the account. When you click on it the first time it may ask you for the password. After the first time, it should not prompt for the password. For convenience you can then click and hold the Account name in the Windows Explorer and drag it to the My Network Places icon. That will create a short cut to the account and put it where it is readily visible.

For more info see here.

Re: Win xp in a linux: samba

The problem is most probably of the firewall. I had faced this problem in the past. If ipchains is running on the Linux machine, please add this line to /etc/sysconfig/iptables

-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 139 --syn -j ACCEPT

This will open port 139 to accept samba requests. This should work.