Thread: Hibernation: Insufficient System Resources Problem

Hibernation: Insufficient System Resources Problem

Hello, I have got a problem of hibernation with my Dell XPS machine which has 1 gb ram in it and Operating system as Windows XP SP2. Now, wheneever I try to put my pc in hibernation mode I get the message "Insufficient System Resources" and it will then go into either standby or shut off mode. I did try to shut down the pc but hibernate option came back when i restasted my pc. I dont know what seems to be the problem here but if anyone can help me it would be great.

I found this Microsoft Knowledgebase article, along with a patch, which, insanely, isn’t available on Windows Update. Grr!

It seems the problem is caused due to the fact that when instructed to hibernate, XP has to find contiguous free space equal to the amount of RAM installed in the system. Naturally, as RAM increases, this becomes harder. Why on earth it’s incapable of using non-contiguous space is beyond me…but maybe that’s what the patch solves.

Apparently, the problem is caused by the fact that the Windows kernel power manager doesn’t manage to find a block of contiguous memory to hibernate. This happens occasionally on laptops with 2Gb of RAM. It can be quite annoying when you put your laptop to sleep, pop it in your haversack, then some time later find a discharged battery and a VERY HOT laptop bag (my laptop uses a 180W PSU, just to give you an idea of how much power it sucks up).

Anyway, it’s nice that they solved the problem, HOWEVER, you can’t actually download the hotfix, but have to contact Product Support Services for it. I’m not sure if there’s a fee to be paid for it, so I just Googled the hotfix and found a copy elsewhere.

Here’s a copy if anyone wants it: Download here: WindowsXP-KB909095-x86-ENU.exe