Thread: problems

problems

I have few novice questions

1. On my motherboard http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards...ll;main-full-l can i put a SATA hard disc to install windows xp? Also on this motherboard u can see how i need to connect a DVD-ROM (slave IDE etc)? because my DVD-ROM from begin had problems

2. if im replacing my hard disk (http://www.twister.ro/produse/HDD-32...m~~WD3200AAKS/) with other and im installing windows xp, if i put back the first hard windows ill start?

3. I heard that is hard to install XP on sata, but on ATA?
    Last edited by xromania; 20-10-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Replacing the hard disk and installing Windows XP in that, then placing back the old hard drive in it alongwith will not affect the working of your machine. Windows will start and will work properly as long as both the hard drives are error free. So you can have both your hard drives in your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
    3. I heard that is hard to install XP on sata, but on ATA?
    Its not like that. I have never heard or experienced that on my Sata. As far as I know, its just the cabling difference in the two hard disk types viz. Sata and ATA. Otherwise you can have any OS on these hard drives.

Yes you can install the Sata Hard drives in that mobo without any problem. I prefer newegg.com to buy any peripherals.

thanks i was scared to post here cuz this look like a experts forum and im "noob

so for my motherboard can i buy any hard drive, sata ori ata? And after i install windows can i atash the old drive (who have windows too) to first (and how eventually)?

I see now my drive is atashed on motherboard on a little slot (not large like for cables) named SATA1, next to more slots named SATA2, SATA3.... SATA 6 and also somewhere is a big separate slot where is the cable for dvd-rom. Where i should place the new drive and the old one?
    Last edited by xromania; 21-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Just put it the way you want to, but remember to do some jumper settings so that the hard drives would be recognized.

So your old hard drive is Sata. And you have six slots to attach hard drives so you can attach six different physical hard drives. You can place your new hard drive in slot 2 and old one in slot1 OR Vice versa. Advisable to keep the hard drive in which OS is installed in slot 1.

The slot for DVD drive is lengthy because it is an IDE slot. You can attach your DVD Rom there.

Quote Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
    so for my motherboard can i buy any hard drive, sata ori ata? And after i install windows can i atash the old drive (who have windows too) to first (and how eventually)?
    Since you have Sata ports on your motherboard, you should get Sata drive only. Also Sata drives are better performers than IDE drives (i.e. ATA).

You can attach both the drives at a time or you can also one attach later. It will be detected automatically upon next restart.

thanks but can u look at my motherboard link and say if it accept sata and too ata drives?

As far as you have mentioned in previous post, your motherboard has only Sata slots on it. So you can connect only Sata hard drive to your rig. Though you can connect ATA hard drive to one IDE slot that you have. But then where will you connect the DVD drive! Coz it is meant for DVD drive, and you dont have another IDE slot

i dont have another id slot? u know that from the link?

i see the dvd-rom have the jumper set to master and the cable to dvd-rom have a a slot with a paper where is write "slave" and a slot with a paper with "master" and the dvd is in the master slot. But strange, a dvd-rom is good to be master?