Thread: Win SBS 2003 ntbackup

Win SBS 2003 ntbackup

Could any one can help me on the following issue? My company have 1 unit of ML370G4 server which insttalled Windows SBS 2003. It consist of 5 physical SCSI hard disc by using smart array utilities. 2 logical discs had been created .i.e. C.(Raid1) and D(Raid5). My issue is : can i use ntbackup to backup C&D concurrently. In case of server failure, can it be restored successfully ?
    Lastly, what is the steps shld i do enable to restore the backup successfully

Pls Advice thank you

note: 3rd party backup is very costly.

Have you seen this page on Microsoft's site?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814583/en-us

Download the attached file below for Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003.

question win SBS 2003 ntbackup

Quote Originally Posted by Viceman View Post
    Download the attached file below for Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003.
    Thanks alot for helping me on the technical area which i need to learn from u.

And for the ntbackup wizard, at the stage of "what to backup - I will choose option : 'LET ME CHOOSE WHAT TO BACKUP " then i will choose the whole dir C: & D.
    (means the backup will backup everying in C & D. .
    That says if my server OS currupt or somthing wrong with it, what i have to do is install back Win2003 (using CD) . Then use this backup to restore back everying (i.e. all the configuration and setting and other software as well. Can this restoration work ?

thanks you
    Hope to hear from u soon

Yogesh Guest
    Yes, this is exactly what happens. You can restore the backup items after reinstalling server OS. All the settings, attributes, configurations will be restored properly. I doubt though that some programs or software might not function properly as their original support files could be washed out when reinstalling OS. For that, you may need to reinstall such softwares/programs.

I will suggest you to save the backed up copy on some removable media (like DVD or external hard drive) OR on some other computer as well. If in weird case you lose your backup data as well on the server, you can still recover your precious data from these sources.
    To be at a safer side........