Thread: "my computer" loading slow on vista 64bit

"my computer" loading slow on vista 64bit

hi all

i just got myself a new computer and installed vista ultimate 64bit on it and iam very pleased in all but one thing bothers me but first here is my system specs

Cooler Master M850 Power Supply (850W Modular)
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 Motherboard
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 Processor 2.66ghz
    Cooler Master Hyper TXII CPU Cooler
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2-1000 Memory Kit (2x 2GB)
    2x Seagate 250GB SATAII Hard Drives (RAID0)
    1x Seagate 1TB SATAII Hard Drive (not in the machine yet)
    1x Transcend 350GB external usb
    Liteon 20 Speed DVD Writer
    2x ATI HD4870 Graphics Cards

the problem that iam experincing i have no idea if it is normal or not, if i click on "my computer" icon there seems to be some sort of loading procress that takes place with a progress bar with in the address bar area, er i hope that makes sence, anyways while this is happening my mouse and freezes and sticks until the progress/loading has stopped ... iam really lost with this , i mean is it normal?

i even tried tweaking things thinking it might be some sort of windows service so i went to http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm
    all i did from there though was User Account Control, Indexing Features, Windows Sidebar, Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop, Vista Aero (Themes) and then i also changed the windows services to "safe" mode as shown here http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

would anyone please be able to help me with this, thank you very much

the problem that iam experincing i have no idea if it is normal or not, if i click on "my computer" icon there seems to be some sort of loading procress that takes place with a progress bar with in the address bar area, er i hope that makes sence, anyways while this is happening my mouse and freezes and sticks until the progress/loading has stopped ... iam really lost with this , i mean is it normal?
    "some sort of loading procress that takes place with a progress bar with in the address bar area" what do you mean by this?

What i can suggest you is try from the basics.
    remove all the extra components i mean keep only mobo+cpu+your OS hdd+Keyboard +mouse & monitor connected & start your PC.
    See if you have the same problem. If you have no problem then start adding all the extra HDDs & components one by one this way you will come to know if there is any problem with the other components.

hi thanks for the reply

when u click "computer", in windows explorer where it says "Computer" in the window where it shows ur hdd's , with-in that address bar there seems to be a progress loading that moves along with-in that address bar, like in IE when u going to a webpage u can see that page loading in IE's status bar

i hope that makes better sence

iam thinking perhaps it is my external hdd as my external is a IDE interface and my internal hdds are sataII

Look in your event log under system. Are there any ATAPI errors? It sounds like one of your drives might be timing out.

Looking at your system configuration i can figure it out that it must be due to some compatibility issue. Your motherboard & ram compatibility specially!
    You have 2 internal & 1 external Hard drive Heavy graphic Card & DVD writer so my guess is your system takes time to analyse the status & takes time to display!

i cant or atleast dont see any errors in that event log being of the ATAPI nature and yeah iam going to email my mb ppl today and see what they say