Thread: Linux installation in Windows

Linux installation in Windows

Hi,

In my computer I have Windows and then discovered a little about Linux gave me a desire to install. My computer what took my family and therefore intend to leave Windows. In other words, take Linux and Windows (which is why I have said would not encourage pc ... that was my main fear)
    I have a computer of that **** with Winamp, MSN and Firefox is already slow.

I have:
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Processor Intel Pentium 4
    256 MB Ram
    40 gb hard disk

I download the CD Ubuntu (. Iso) and I recorded a CD ... Now what I want to install. I have to take into account something special? What happens to my active windows? They will be the same which I hold in Linux?
    ... Any reach about Linux installation would be much helpful... telling the consequences and things that must be taken into account

HI,

Let me first clear you that Linux is not installed on Windows, so it has nothing to do your machine becomes slow.

What are you going to do and very carefully, and while READ, which will be displayed to partition your hard drive, ie your 40GB, you can reduce the area of windows at 25 GB for example, will include Linux as much as 2 or 3GB, but there is no need to punish him so much, and less if you plan to download more packages in the future.

Your hard disk has a primary partition, which occupies the entire disk space, so to resize the hard drive (you can accept the defaults without problem), you create an extended partition, with a logical partition (twice your RAM) for SWAP, and other root partition (/), where the operating system is installed, you can-when-you get used to create another partition for your files (/ home).

Hi,

Make a point that in linux, there is no Unit C, D, etc., these are catalogued differently, the primary partition, where are the archives of windows, will be mounted as a folder of how Linux / Windows / C /, what they will have access to your documents and files windows, looking into the file manager folder / Windows / C / DocumentsandSettings / User