Thread: Vista 64Bit & 4gigs of ram

Vista 64Bit & 4gigs of ram

Hi,
    I want to ask you guys about windows Vista & having 4gigs of ram help you?
    Do you have more than 4gigs of ram & working great?
    I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit and useing 4gigs ,does running 6gigs help anything. Am I going to notice any difference in game loading or any other thing that may be faster with over 4gig of memory.

Unless youre loading huge images or working with really large files, you wont notice a difference.

I like my dual quad workstation with 8gb of ram. still needed more resources for VM's so I put ESX3i on it instead. Not as good for surfing now...
    Started reading articles on how Vista 64 really shines under 8GB of RAM...not that it's needed but that the OS pretty much caches all your recently used apps. Will look see if I can find the links still...was a while back.
    I had some RAM flying about from another setup that bit the dust so just moved the 4GB into the system and viola.

I love my Raptor, but that is me.

I don't know much about your motherboard, but when thinking about 4x2gb, I think of northbridge MCH voltage. Some boards (like mine) have a problem with a high memory clock and four bays being used. If your board is a go on the MCH voltage, 8gb should be very stable and awesome.

For average user or someone that uses their pc for gaming has no need to go over 2gb. Usually audio professionals have 4-8gb range and they are smart enough not to use vista because it eats too much on its own so XP 64bit is the way to go. Mac would be even better choice tho.

With 8 gigs in my system, nearly my whole Vista64 computing session is cached in memory. Every normal program and game I run loads super fast, Oblivion (which I play every day) easily loads in 1/2 the time it use to with only 2 gigs in my system.
    Almost makes me double think if my next order will still include 2 HDs for Raid.