Thread: Problem with Microsoft Update

sad Problem with Microsoft Update

I recently cloned my old boot drive onto a new, larger drive. In order to get the cloning to work, I had to do a Repair of the new drive from my XP Pro disk.

Now when I attempt to go to either the Windows Update or Microsoft Update site I end up in an infinite loop trying to find out what updates I need to install. When I click on either Express or Custom install, I am eventually presented with a screen that says some of the files required to use Windows Update need to either be registered or installed on the computer. When I attempt to do this the screen indicates the files are being downloaded and registered, but then I loop back to the screen prompting me to choose Custom or Express install and the process starts all over again.

I've tried using the help that MS provides to no avail. I've tried reregistering the list of dlls recommended. I've been able to do this successfully for all but msxml3.dll. When I attempt to register this file I get a 0x80070005 error that does not give me any useful feedback.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Problem solved

Well, this turns out to have been maddeningly simple. I just needed to turn off my antivirus software, which hadn't occurred to me because prior to cloning the drive, I'd never had a problem using the Microsoft Update site with it enabled.

I guess when I did the repair, it reset my system to an earlier version that had some a negative interaction with my Symantec Anti-virus software. After turning off the anti-virus software and applying ~80 (!) updates, I am now able to access the Microsoft Update website without needing to turn off the anti-virus software.