Thread: Black Screen when booting from vista DVD

Black Screen when booting from vista DVD

Ok so i'll start at the begining. On attempting to fix a previous error with windows i screwed things up and got a blue screen with the error code 0XC1F5. I got this when trying to start windows and booting from my vista DVD. I did some reaserch and descovered that this was caused by the $TxfLog file being corrupt.

So i booted to a linux based tool called SystemRescueCD and deleted the offending file.

At this point i'm thinking problem solved but now when i try to boot from my vista DVD it just gives me a black screen. It loads the files ok and i get the green vista bars apear that tell me its loading but after that it just gives me a black screen.

Any help would be appriciated. I'm running 2 hard drives in RAID0 so i'm wondering if vista is having a problem with that

Can you get in with the Safe mode? Lets try this
    first make sure your computer is powered off. Now turn it on & immediatly hit the F8 key. See if you get the black screen with white letters with various options including "Last known good configuration". Go with this option & see if this works?
    You will lose some data between the last config & till date but its good if you can get into the system.

Recently an article was published about 0xC1F5 error which is frequently observed by Vista users across the globe and is termed as a bug in Vista. Read this article by AEKowalski - Microsoft Responds to Vista 0xC1F5 STOP Bug

I have read microsofts article and they have released a hotfix for the issue, however it is impossible to apply the hotfix after this problem occurs as it becomes impossible to boot into windows at all. Microsofts work around is to reformat the drive using an XP or windows 2000 disk and reinstall vista. I did not want to do this as i'd loose a lot of data.

I found this guide and decided to give it a try but i've now got a new problem.

When i try and boot into safe mode the system hangs after it loads crcdisk.sys. If i try and boot windows normally it doesnt actually hang, the vista loading bars just never go away and it never gets to the log in screen. Does the same if i try last known good config as well.

Quick update.

I have flashed my bios and disabled everything non essentual but still getting the black screen.

Finally i tried configuring my sata as IDE and windows booted from my DVD with no problem. Switched it back to configure as RAID and it wont boot

Oh, so the cause was actually the RAID drives. What you guessed earlier was correct I think,
    I'm running 2 hard drives in RAID0 so i'm wondering if vista is having a problem with that
    But i never heard like RAID drives creating problems in VISTA. Might be another bug in VISTA