Thread: kingston 64gb datatraveler copying speed slow

kingston 64gb datatraveler copying speed slow

I recently purchased a new Kingston Datatraveler 64gb pen drive which is also a usb 3.0 usb drive. Although I am using it on my Usb 2.0 port but while copying any files I am getting a very slow speed of 9 to 12 mbps only? Previously I was using the same brand 32GB pen drive and it used to give me atleast 20mbps constant copying speed. But with this new pen drive the speed keeps going up and down. I have tested many different file formats but still there is no change? Is there any defect in this type of usb drive? Any ideas?

Re: kingston 64gb datatraveler copying speed slow

The issue could be because of the formatting of the drive. As general, the USB drives are formated to FAT32 file format for cross-platform compatibility. You can eventually try to reformat the drive to exFAT which could be more optimal for capacities greater than 32GB. There were many users who saw an increase in the transfer speed or copying speed. So, try to do all this necessary changes and check the output for yourself.

The kingston 64gb datatraveler flash drive that you are using is an entry level usb 3.0 drive and you should get atleast a copying speed of about 10mb/s. Incase the same pen drive is not performing properly or else there is some other issues with the drive itself then you can try to replace the pen drive under its warranty period of 5 years. You can even chat with their technician on their official website for more information.

What is the model number of the Kingston 64GB USB 3.0 G4 DataTraveler Flash Drive that you are using? You might have got a model of slow flash drive which might be working at 5mbps, so if you can return it then do it as soon as possible and get a usb 3.0 one which can read 75mbps at the same price. It is also possible that you have got yourself a faulty drive, try to format it and see if that makes any difference.