Thread: Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM compatibility with ASRock N68C-GS FX

Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM compatibility with ASRock N68C-GS FX

I am looking to upgrade my motherboard to a use a DDR3 RAM. I was looking to get the 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 mhz RAM. After a lot of search I found the ASRock N68C-GS FX motherboard which actually is a DDR2 and DDR3 combo motherboard. I wonder how can a motherboard support 2 different RAM speed? I was also having an old DDR2 RAM lying at my place, so I was wondering if I would be able to use both the DDR3 and DDR2 RAM on this motherboard? Thanks

Re: Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM compatibility with ASRock N68C-GS FX

There are motherboard that supports DDR2 and DDR3 RAM but you should note that these combo motherboard you are only subjected to use one of the RAM modules and cannot install both of them simultaneuosly. You can either try to install DDR2 or DDR3 RAM on the motherboard that you have listed because installing both will never work or boot your system. Hope that this information helps you out.

Whatever said above is true and you should only use one of the 2 module RAM. In any case, the Kingston HyperX DD3 RAM that you want to use is compatible with the ASRock N68C-GS FX motherboard. Apart from that, if you are not really interested into gaming or even not planning to overclock your system then I dont think you really need advanced memory like the Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM. If you have DDR2 RAM kept in spare then you can simply use that and save some money.

The ASRock N68C-GS FX mobo is quite odd from the rest of the other motherboards. You can either use 2 sticks of DDR2 RAM in the yellow slot or else you can use DDR3 memory in the blue slot on the board. But in any case, the motherboard only supports upto 8GB of RAM of either DDR2 or DDR3. As said above, you wont be able to use both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM at the same time. You can also refer to the manual for more information on this board.