Thread: install Kingston RAM along with Corsair RAM?

install Kingston RAM along with Corsair RAM?

I am already having 8Gb Corsair RAM running at 1600mhz installed in my motherboard slot. I am also having 4GB 1333mhz RAM kept in spare but that is of Kingston brand. I wanted to know whether it will be a good idea to install the Kingston RAM with the Corsair RAM running at 1600mhz? Both the RAM have the same modules of 1.5V. Is it possible to oveclock the Kingston RAMs to 1600mhz on my x58 platform? Will there be any kind of issues or something? Thanks

smile Re: install Kingston RAM along with Corsair RAM?

There wont be any issue when you will be running both the RAMs together

Re: install Kingston RAM along with Corsair RAM?

You should make sure that both the RAMs CL timings and bus speed are similar if you are looking to create channel and to ensure the compatibility among the different RAM modules. However, it is always suggested that you must always use the same RAM modules of same brand and type. In any case both the Corsair and Kingston RAM are C9 so they both should be compatible in this regard. If both RAM modules are different then they will not be compatible on your motherboard.

If your motherboard is not booting up with the Kingston RAM then it could also mean that it is a bad RAM stick. Try to make sure to test it with memtest86 with one RAM stick at a time and for around 2-3 cycles. You will get to know which RAM stick is the bad one. If all the RAM stick are alright then try testing each RAM slot on your motherboard. If they are bad then you can try to RMA it under warranty claim.

If you are using 2 different capacity memory modules then it will just fine. Also, you can use 2 different modules of different speeds in your computer but note that it will run at the speed of the slowest RAM modules. Most of the time, you might be also able to use few memory modules in a different way to gain some extra speed. The most common way to use it on dual channel because it gets you about 5% extra speed without any needing extra hardware.