Thread: fit heatsinks on Kingston RAM

fit heatsinks on Kingston RAM

I am going to buy new Kingston HyperX Predator 2x4GB RAM very soon and I was thinking if it will be alright to fit heatsinks on this same memory? I have a Arctic CPU Cooler which is not letting big sized RAM. I also have another question regarding whether the specified clock on the RAM with the heatsink will make them overheat too much? If anyone knows what precautions is to be taken, please let me know soon. Thank you

Re: fit heatsinks on Kingston RAM

I think that if you are not overclocking your Kingston HyperX Predator RAM too much along with the CPU and GPU, if you have any, then it will be fine and you wont have to put in the heatsinks which is not necessarily needed. I have seen some queries where there was an increase in the temperature because of the extra material on the chips itself. So, I will suggest you to test the RAM first by plugging on the mobo and then check if there is any kind of overheating issue or not.

If there is a problem with the size of the RAM then you can also take a look at the GSkill Tridents RAM. These RAMs are 5.4-tall but there is an upper fin which can be removed easily. After removing it the height becomes onle 3.9mm. Simply remove 2 small screws and slide the upper fin off, but note that the RAM could run atleast 4-5 degrees warmer. Overall the GSkill Tridents RAM runs at very stable rate of 2800mhz on a haswell based computer build. You cannot be more pleased than that.

You can surely purchase RAM with heatsinks if you needed it. But I believe that it is totally a waste of money. You must know that RAM are commodity these days and it really doesnt matter which brand of RAM you want to buy now a days. Most of the RAM performs the same, costs the same and does the same job equally. Kingston usually makes this heatsink included RAM to differentiate itself from the rest of its competitors in the market with some feature that is not offered anywhere else.