Thread: is there any problem using 2 different Kingston RAM sticks

is there any problem using 2 different Kingston RAM sticks

I have a perfectly running computer but with only 2gb of RAM of Kingston brand. Since most of the high end games that are releasing these days require 4gb or above RAM and Windows 64 bit support, so I am looking to add another 2gb RAM and thus install Windows 7 64 bit edition to play all the games. But the problem is that, from the market I am getting only other Kingston RAM model of 2gb and not the same model of kingston RAM that I have installed in my pc. Will it work properly in my pc, I just want to confirm it. Thanks

Re: is there any problem using 2 different Kingston RAM sticks

Well, different model RAM may or may not work together in your system. Whenever you mix DRAM from different packages then it is also possible that the exact same model of the RAM would not work. The RAM sticks that are given in a package works well together. You cannot just take any 2 or 4gb RAM sticks and mix them together although using them individually works fine. If you add another model RAM then it could require advanced timing to be set in the BIOS as well.

Exactly, it cannot be guaranteed that mixing the different RAM model will work together even though they should work theoretically. I would suggest you to remove any of the RAM stick from your computer and then identify the manufacturer and its stock number. Afterwards you can go to the manufacturers website and then enter the same stock number in their search and then verify the specification sheet that they have and read the CAS Latency and Voltage. This is the thing that matters a lot because if both of this are different from the one you want to buy then it might not work.

I also agree from the above reply, you will have to buy RAM sticks not just with the same frequency but also to the same CAS Latency and Voltage. The best thing that you can do is grab a paired RAM of 4gb or 8gb which will normally work in your computer and remove the old RAM stick aside for any future use. If you use the old RAM with the new RAM set then there is a chance for losing the dual channel speed performance in your system.