Thread: unable to update firmware for Kingston SSDNow

unable to update firmware for Kingston SSDNow

I need some urgent help from you all guys regarding SSD.

About two months ago i switched from Hard drive to Kingston SSDNow on my PC running Windows 8 operating system. The system worked fine so far but since past 3 days i am facing a critical problem. I started facing BSOD in every 30 to 60 minutes on this system. Troubleshooted everything including Mobo, RAM, Windows, drivers, etc and lastly found that the problem is with the SSD itself. after digging out more i came that it is because of not updating the firmware.

Well i downloaded Kingston's own “Field Updater” firmware update utility and installed on my system but it is not able to detect my SSD. I have tried few things to bring up the drive in this utility but nothing worked. So can anyone please help me out with this? Thank you.

Re: unable to update firmware for Kingston SSDNow

I dont think there is any problem with the SSD Now or the Field Updater. Possibly your other hardware. Can you tell me what motherboard do you have? As SSD's are made with newer technology your Mobo should be compatible with SSD and most importantly AHCI. So see if your moo has such support or let me know your motherboard model.

I appreciate your help buddy and I think you are correct because my MSI board is about 4 years old and it appears like it has no AHCI support. I’m telling this because I manually tried switching the driver between AHCI and IDE by going through windows registry but yet the same problem appears. So according to you what do I need to do now? Have I to spend few dollars to buy a new motherboard? Is that the only solution? By the way if my Motherboard was not compatible how was able to run Windows on it for past few months?

Do one thing, visit MSI official website, select your board model, see if they have provided any BIOS update for the Mobo. If yes, download the same flash it on your mobo. Once done, try running Kingston’s Field Updater and see if it is able to detect the SSD now. Let us know the results.

Well I don’t have any Kingston SSD but as far as firmware update is concerned, I don’t know why you guys required it to be ACHI because as I can see in the official procedure from Kingston, it says you have to set it to IDE. Here is the complete step by step process for updating Firmware on Kingston SSD. Have a look:

Bios Setup:
    • Once you downloaded the firmware ISO and burned it on CD/DVD, restart the system and enter BIOS by pressing keys depending on your motherboard model such as Del, F1, F2 or F10 key
    • First of all set the first boot device to CD/DVD rom.
    • Under drive configuration, check that SATA Mode is set to “IDE” (Example 2). If it’s not already set to “IDE”, change SATA mode from “AHCI” or “RAID” mode to “IDE” or “Compatibility” mode. Some systems have an additional SATA mode setting called “Native” or “Legacy”. In this case, set SATA mode to “Legacy”. SATA mode can and should be returned back to its original configuration after the firmware upgrade completes.
    • Make sure your drive doesn’t have any password or it may create problem during the update.
    • Now restart the system and run the system setup program (BIOS). The BIOS can be activated by pressing a special key such as ESC, F1, F2, F10, F12 or DELETE.
    • Now select IDE mode as mentioned above and reboot the system again.

Updating Firmware:
    • Insert the Update CD/DVD and boot the computer. Make sure it boots with CD.
    • Computer will start loading the firmware install tool.
    • On next screen simply press Y on your keyboard to Accept the “Terms of Use” and press Y again to confirm and continue.
    • Now wait for about a minute and allow the system to update the firmware. Do not press anything in between.
    • Once the update is done you will see a message saying “Update Successful”

That’s it. Your SSD firmware is now updated. Restart the system and restore SATA Mode to its original configuration from BIOS.

Thank you very much for the procedure Maq.h. I will surely give it a try and let you know the result. Appreciated.