Thread: Method to setup Kingston HyperX 3k's in raid

Method to setup Kingston HyperX 3k's in raid

Want some help to setup HyperX 3K SSD on raid on my Asrock E77 Extreme 4 system. I am building a new system with high end hardware configuration. I had purchased a 120GB SSD. It is a HyperX 3K drive. Now somehow I am not able to configure raid 0 here. I tried a number of different things but nothing worked. I am going to install Windows 7 x64 on the same. But things does not looks to be working fine. I had assembled everything and the system looks to be working well. Is there any specific method available through I which I can configure raid on the system. Thanks.

Re: Method to setup Kingston HyperX 3k's in raid

You can do that through bios. Hit the Del key on system boot and get in bios. In that you can find settings for RAID. You will need to look for proper configuration through the board manual. That will be more easier for you I think.

It is correct that if you go through the manual you will get more info about raid setup. SSD on RAID offers you simple and fast data reliability solution. The settings lies inside the bios itself. Where you can set the hard drive mode to AHCI or something here. There you just have to select RAID and move ahead with the configuration setup. That will be more easier. To use the SSD on raid you will need to configure two hard drives. First will the SSD and the second will the your regular internal hard disk. It is quiet necessary that you must hook them on the same SATA gbps connection or else there will be speed fluctuation. You must add both of them on 6gbps interface which will offer you great transfer speed. One thing can cause issue here. As per raid support it is necessary that the two hard drives which you are using must be same. If there is a difference in the speed you will face performance issue.

It is better to go for RAID 1 instead of RAID 0 on SSD. You will need to buy one more drive here. That will do the job. Your data security will more increase giving you more optimum output.

Raid configuration is a complicated part on Windows system. Most probably it will work really well on identical hard drives. Or else there can be constant crashing issue. What matters here is the data backup and transfer speed. I am going give you the regular raid setup method which will be more helpful for you in fixing the issue. It is basically recommended to use more than 1 SSD over different raid configuration. While if you don't have the same then you can use two internal hard drive for data only. While use the SSD for installing operating system and applications. This will boost the performance. Here you just need to go in the bios and locate the drive settings where you will need to change to RAID from AHCI or SATA whatever is selected. It is quiet necessary to view the motherboard manual. It will give you a complete steps of performing raid setup in more proper manner. Compare to raid 0 here raid 1 is far more reliable. It simply creates two copies of data on different location. So recovery here is more possible.

I am using two internal hard drive on raid which goes well. There is no performance issue at all. But I am doubtful about the SSD. I do not think this is going to work really well. You will need two identical drive for the same. Or else things might not work here.

Raid setup will surely make your system work better. Everything here depends on the motherboard and drive specification. To some extent this will be complicated for everyone to match the right hardware and hook them on raid. Raid setup basically depends on the bios itself and Windows here uses Trim. So there can be some complications by configuring the same on windows system. For enabling raid it is essential to turn of trim first and I think it would affect the performance also. If you go with two different drives here then it will be a bit time consuming process. Also there is no reliability here that will work for long time.

I bought a laptop that came with a SSD in it and it looks to be configured on the raid setup. I am not really sure about the settings but it is working well. It is specifically depends on the motherboard itself if you want to go for appropriate configuration.

I found HyperX 3k SSD very helpful as the storage capacity of my laptop has increased a lot.