Thread: Kingston DataTraveler G3 is very slow

Kingston DataTraveler G3 is very slow

I wish anyone of you using Kingston DataTraveler G3 here, can you please tell me how is it working? Actually i bought this 16GB pen drive last week itself. I already have one HP 16GB Flash drive whom i made a bootable for linux. I wanted another drive for Data transfer hence bought a DataTraveler G3. Now the problem i am facing is no matter i connect this pen drive on USB 2.0 or 3.0, the maximum write speed i get is 2MB/sec.

I have used several other flash drives which atleast offer 6Mb of write speed. DT G3 seems to be even slower than them. Later i moved the linux to this Kingston drive so that i can use the HP one for data transfer. Now even my Linux works too slow as it is installed on Kingston G3.

Can anyone please tell me if the problem is with all DataTraveler G3 or just with my unite? I am thinking to ask refund because i cannot use this drive for anything.

Re: Kingston DataTraveler G3 is very slow

Quote Originally Posted by rYLIE View Post
    Can anyone please tell me if the problem is with all DataTraveler G3 or just with my unite? I am thinking to ask refund because i cannot use this drive for anything.
    Yes, the problem is with all DataTraveler G3 drives. You are not alone with this problem. I had this couple of months ago and literally threw it in dustbin because of its awful performance. I am not happy with my Sandisk 16GB and Samsung 32GB USB drives that offers me 6 to 10MB while moving data in Pen drives and 20 to 30MB while moving from Pen drive to PC. If you can not throw it go and get refund.

Hello rYLIE,

Instead of throwing it in dustbin (hope you didn’t got it for free) and before going for refund, just try out formatting the drive and see if it makes any difference in the speed. I am telling this because I too have a Kingston G3 32Gb and I get transfer speed of 4.8 write and 18.50 Read. It doesn’t seems bad from anywhere, right?

So that means the problem is with not all models but instead maybe with your particular USB key. Connect it to the computer, right click and format. Make sure Quick Format is not check marked. Let windows format it with low level formatting. It will take few minutes but it is necessary.

Let us know the result.

You might be the one luckiest guy Agamjot that you are getting such write/read speed with datatraveler G3. Even I had one that never offered me more than 1mb/s write and 10mb/s read speed.