Thread: Kingston Data Traveler is not accessible drive error

Kingston Data Traveler is not accessible drive error

I am having a Kingston DataTraveler USB drive since past two months. I use this drive rarely for copy pasting few files on just two systems, my home desktop and a laptop. Thats it. I never used it with any other computer so i dont think the drive should get dead so early.

Now when i am connecting it either in my desktop or laptop, windows recognizes the same but when i double click to open it says "G:\is not accessible." Note G is my drive letter. After troubleshooting for over 2 hours i finally decided to format the drive hoping it will start working but surprisingly windows is now not even able to format the drive.

What is wrong with the drive? My other flash drives working fine on the same systems. Any help please?

Re: Kingston Data Traveler is not accessible drive error

Surely there is some problem with the drive which shouldn't have to be happened so early. Anyways, if you dont have any important data or if you really want to format the drive then try doing the same from Computer Management console. Go to Start, click RUN, type 'diskmgmt.msc' followed by Enter. Here see if your Data Traveler is listed. If yes, right click the same and select Format. It should be formatted from here.

If still windows is not able to format then you need to buy a new Pen Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Besnik View Post
    Go to Start, click RUN, type 'diskmgmt.msc' followed by Enter. Here see if your Data Traveler is listed. If yes, right click the same and select Format. It should be formatted from here.
    No help either. Though the drive appears in the disk management, i am not able to format it from there also. When i right click and select format, it attempts to format but in few seconds comes up with a pop up saying drive cannot be formatted. So does it means i need to throw this 2 months old flash drive and buy a new one?

Wait dude. What’s so hurry. If your drive is not infected with virus which is creating this problem then there is an utility that can help you make the drive working again. It is Active KillDisk. If you want you can download the same from here. This is a free software that will help you to wipe out your Kingston drive easily in minutes. Download and install KillDisk, run the application. Make sure your pen drive is connected to the system. It will appear in the application. Remember that Killdisk detects all hard disks, floppy drives, USB drives connected to the computer at the moment. Hence select your drive properly and erase.

Thank you very much for that software Ken. It worked.

I formatted the drive comfortably using the KillDisk and is now accessible from windows explorer itself. Surprisingly after using killdisk when I tried formatting the drive again from disk management, there was no error here as well. That means my drive is now in good condition.

Help appreciated.