Thread: Kingston SSDNow 32gb slow write speed problem.

Kingston SSDNow 32gb slow write speed problem.

I had purchased a new Kingston SSDNow V100 SV100S2D 32GB and reinstalled Windows 7 on it by doing a clean install. It is working fine and I am also able to see the performancee gain over the old hard drive but when I tested the benchmarks of this SSD then it was kind of worrying. Windows was scoring the disk above 6 rating but after adding some more Ram in my system the same score went below 6? So I started benchmarking it and found that its write speed goes way down to 25mb/s which is very low. What should I do now? Thanks.
    "Freely you have received, freely give." -- Jesus Christ

Re: Kingston SSDNow 32gb slow write speed problem.

Have you tried to secure erase before doing the reinstall of Windows 7 because it is more important on small drives than on larger drives. The ssd's also dont write over sectors similar like hard drives, they use 32k blocks normally. If you have not dont a secure erase then you might have a large number of blocks that could be marked as used.

You can try to go to Device Manager and then click on the Disk drives. After that right click on the SSD listed over there and select Properties. Now click on the Policies tab and if "Enable write caching on the device" is checked, then uncheck it and then click ok and the check it again and then click ok. After that try to run the benchmark again and see if that gives the correct write speed.

Actually, you should check the motherboard for the support of AHCI because if it is not supported then right now the benchmark you are getting are as good as its going to get. The SSds are designed to work best in AHCI mode although they are compatible ith IDE mode as well. The ide mode is good for hard drives and optical drives such as CD, DVD, etc. There are also many SSDs in IDE mode that do not support TRIM so it could be also a reason for slow write performance.