Thread: remove write protection on Kingston DataTraveler DT101G2

remove write protection on Kingston DataTraveler DT101G2

I recently purchased a new Kingston DataTraveler DT101G2 16gb. I have copied some data on it but when I right click on any data folder then it will not give me options to delete any folder? So, I went ahead and tried to do a quick format but then it will give me a message that the drive is write protected? Does anyone know how to get rid of this message, so that I can format this pen drive? Please help
    Fear is only in your mind, Dont Let It Overcome You.

Re: remove write protection on Kingston DataTraveler DT101G2

Well, if you want to disable the Usb drive write protection, then you can perform some registry hacks. This write protection is basically enabled in such drives for some security reasons, so that users cannot easily copy data which are important in big companies or such. Anyways, if you have Windows XP with latest Service Pack then go to this registry path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies and then change the “WriteProtect” to dword:00000001. After doing that, restart your system to take effect. Hope this helps.

To disable Write Protection on the Kingston DataTraveler DT101G2 pen drive, you can even download the below reg key to Disable USB Write. Also I am providing the reg key file to Enable USB Write, in the below attachment, so that it will ease your work without going the long way of entering into registry editor and doing the change. Note that the files are in .zip file, so you will need to download tools like winrar or winzip to extract the .reg keys. After extracting simply double click on the .reg keys to enable to disable write protection.
    Attached Files Attached Files

To add more for the above solutions given, you will also need to do the below steps:
    1. You need to click on start and then right click on my computer and then select open
    2. After that you have to right click the icon of your Flash Drive
    3. Now you need to click Properties in the menu
    4. After that click the Sharing tab and then click permissions
    5. Lastly you need to click Allow next to Full Control.

Although I agree that all the above methods work, but it could be also possible that there might be a switch on the pen drive to disable the write protection, all you need to do is just push it. If it is not there, then you can simply follow the steps given in the above post to disable the write protection for sure.

i downloaded these files but i dont know how to use them.. Plz help me

Quote Originally Posted by Aloke View Post
    To disable Write Protection on the Kingston DataTraveler DT101G2 pen drive, you can even download the below reg key to Disable USB Write. Also I am providing the reg key file to Enable USB Write, in the below attachment, so that it will ease your work without going the long way of entering into registry editor and doing the change. Note that the files are in .zip file, so you will need to download tools like winrar or winzip to extract the .reg keys. After extracting simply double click on the .reg keys to enable to disable write protection.
    plz help me i have downloaded these files, but i dont know how to use these files. plz help me.

Just download those attachments and extract them on the desktop. If you want to disable write protection you have to double click on the registry file. You will get a message notification on your screen about allowing the registry values to be merged with your existing one. Click on OK and then done. Restart your pc once. The file will not work if you are in limited account. You require admin permissions to modify registry values.

unsure Re: remove write protection on Kingston DataTraveler DT101G2

there is a problem, these files are not .reg... maybe u need to download it and check it