Thread: Kingston DTU30G2/32GB gets warm quickly

Kingston DTU30G2/32GB gets warm quickly

My friend gave me his Kingston DTU30G2/32GB, so that i can fill it up with movies and give him back. Today after transferring some movies, which might have taken 20 approximately when i disconnected it form my system i found it quite warm. I don't think that's normal, I told my friend about the same thing but now he is saying there was no such issue with his pen drive. He said, I might have not handled it carefully and something might have gone wrong with it.

Let's leave the story apart, I just want to know if there is anyone else here who might have noticed the same thing with his Kingston DTU30G2/32GB or something is really wrong with the one I am having.

Re: Kingston DTU30G2/32GB gets warm quickly

I don’t have Kingston DTU30G2/32GB but I think that’s normal. I don’t think there might be something wrong with the pen drive. Your friend might have just not noticed it himself. Pen drives do get warm when any transfer is carried out from it to PC or vice verse that takes long time. I guess 20 minutes and half an hour is enough for warming up any pen drive a bit.
    There's always an easier way...

It’s not getting warm a bit, it gets too warm and that’s the reason I have started a thread here. You can take a look at it here.
    Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G2 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
    It’s the same one, I have used many pen drives by now but frankly speaking I haven’t come across a pen drive that gets too warm within 20 minutes and so. I don’t have a thermometer to check it temp currently. Else I would have mentioned the temp as well.

I am not sure if that’s normal, one of my friend has the same Kingston DTU30G2/32GB and he was complaining about the same thing. He said that it gets too warm after some time. However, I haven’t confirmed after what time. I have gone through the above review and have checked out it close pictures. It has thick plastic and I don’t think that it should get too warm. Anyways as far as its working fine you can ignore the heating issue. You can tell your friend that he might have not noticed it himself and there are some other people complaining about the heating issue.

Ok, thanks for letting me know that I am not only the one. I thought something might have gone wrong with it after coming in my hand as I am a bit careless.

Guys I have tried digging this case and after going through some more reviews I have found some experts mentioning that “It can get warm after transferring 50GB at once” I think that’s what you have noticed.

According to Its specs it has 100MB/s read 73MB/s write for USB 3.0 and 32MB/s both ways for USB 2.0

So it can transfer 50GB at once within 20 minutes, which can make it warm. If you mind it getting warm then you can get it checked and asked the service center people if there is anything you can do about it.