Thread: Gigabyte GTX 970 black screen issue

Gigabyte GTX 970 black screen issue

I have a 2 years old computer and recently I upgraded my old graphics card with Gigabyte GTX 970 so that I can play all recent games like Assassins Creed Unity and Far Cry 4. Previous card was also Nvidia, so I uninstalled its driver first and then took out the card. After that I put the new GTX 970 card but I was not getting any signal to my monitor. There is just a black screen for few seconds and then it will go to standby. It seems that Windows is booting normally since I can hear the beep sound and keyboards an mouse are also lighting up but still there is nothing on the monitor? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Re: Gigabyte GTX 970 black screen issue

Even I am facing similar problems and have done some small changes in the hardware components in my computer. I am using ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 mobo, Power Supply of 650Watts and my video card is this new one Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce. After booting my pc everything seems to be working since I can see the fan revolving but there is nothing on the screen. When I take out the video card then the onboard graphics works fine so, it doesnt seem like there is any issue with the mobo?

This problem happens sometime when you are changing display without driver uninstall and if the resolution is not supported by the new display. The problem also happens when you buy a new hardware component and it is not supported by age old motherboards and CPU. You could even try to download the latest BIOS update for your motherboard if it is available so that it can support the newer generations of graphics card released in the market.

There was some user who was able to solve this similar problem he was facing with this Gigabyte GTX 970. He kept the video card connected to the motherboard and switched to the onboard video when the pc was showing black screen. After that when the pc boots on the integrated graphics then shutdown your pc and switch to the GTX 970 and then it will boot to the video card. Once in a while if you kept on repeating this workaround then your pc will straight boot to the GTX 970 normally.

Dear Crewer & yamatoeisa,

Please provide me the following system specifications (with brand and model):

• Processor:
    • Motherboard:
    • RAM:
    • Graphics Card:
    • HDD:
    • Power Supply(SMPS):
    • Monitor:

Mostly after updating the BIOS of the motherboard, it should work fine.

Also what kind of output are you using ? HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D or DP ?

Which brand cable are you using ? Or is it the same one you got with the Monitor ?