Thread: upgrading RAM on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

upgrading RAM on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

I am looking to upgrade my computers memory and need some help for you people. I am using the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 mobo with an Core i5 procesor. I am currently having 6gb of Corsair RAM running at 1600mhz and I am now looking to upgrade it to 16GB. I have read somewhere that there seems to be some limitation of Intel X58 chips. So can anyone tell me what RAM should I purchase and will the memory run stable or there could be some issue? Thanks

Re: upgrading RAM on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

It usually depends on the motherboard's RAM slots configuration. There wont be any problems with the processor though but you will have to check with the motherboard manufacturer itself because it actually depends on each specific motherboard model. As for what I have read so far, the memory controll on any X58 chip is integrated into the CPU itself and not in the mobo. So, I would recommend you to check some documentation that should tell you the limitations regarding the RAM quantity.

You will have to search any user who has a similar setup and ask for the limitation that appears to be the memory controller on the CPU and not the chipset or the board. When I checked the Gigabyte website then it was showing 48gb, but I am not sure about it. One thing I would recommend you to not mix RAM kits of different size, you should always purchase the same size all the time. Also, it depends on the CPU controller.

As per the Gigabyte link that I have visited, it says that the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard supports upto 24GB of RAM. So, you can absolutely try to install 16GB of RAM without any issues. I would recommend you to go for the CORSAIR XMS3 RAM which runs at the same 1600mhz. You can use this memory kit with Dual Channel DDR3 Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors and Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) Support. The manufacturer warranty is also Lifetime limited.

Dear Fawn,

You can check the memory support list for your reference:
    http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileLi...a-ex58-ud5.pdf

GA-EX58-UD5 Specifications:
    http://www.gigabyte.in/products/prod...EX58-UD51.0#sp