Thread: Gigabyte R9 280x graphics card flickering problem

Gigabyte R9 280x graphics card flickering problem

In February, I purchased a new Gigabyte R9 280x which was working fine without any issues. But recently it is giving me some flickering problem while it is in Idle mode and also while playing some games. Sometime the screen will also flicker in 2D mode and give black stripes while playing Battlefield 4 or Minecraft. I have heard that this is happening due to the card is unlocked and it isnt stable. So, should I just RMA this graphics card or is there any solution to this problem? Thanks

Re: Gigabyte R9 280x graphics card flickering problem

Can you try to check whether you dont have insufficient power in your pc or even some overheating problem with your system. I will recommend you to try to celan up the cooling fan inside your computer case to subside the temperature, if overheating is the case. If still nothing, then try to test your motherboard which is inside the case to see if there is no short circuit problem. You can try to take out the whole system outside and then remove all other devices except CPU on the motherboard with a single RAM, single hard drive and vga card and power.

Are you using the latest version of the graphics driver in your pc? If not then download it from the manufacturers website and install it and then restart your system. If this doesnt work then try to update the latest bios version of your graphics card. If still that doesnt work then try to test this same video card in some other computer. Also test all the games, different benchmarking and see what results you are getting. You will come to know whether its the card fault or some other hardware failure.

Many people with the same card are facing the same issue. Some were even getting aftifacting while playing games. One of the user on other forum said that the this issue occurs because of the bios that is provided by Gigabyte has some idle clock far too low. It usually sits around the 350mhz while gaming and thus causing the flickering and artifacting issue. To solve this you have to make a new graphic preset in ATI to something like 500mhz. With this setting you will get less flickering for now.