Thread: Microsoft Document Imaging (mdi) in Office 2007

Microsoft Document Imaging (mdi) in Office 2007

I need some help to read a mdi document in Microsoft Office. Office 2003 has this feature. I had just upgraded to Microsoft Office 2007 and now the file is unreadable. Office 2007 is not identifying the format. It looks I did a mistake by upgrading the version of Office. How can get this work. Is there any other application that can read a mdi file. If I can install this feature in Microsoft Office then that will be much better. Thanks.

The upgrade or installation does not install this feature by default. But you do not need to worry about the same. You can add that afterward in your system. You have to add Document Imaging program in your Office suite through Control Panel. Go to Add/Remove Program and click on Microsoft Office. Click on Change and from there try to add additional component. You can choose Document Imaging from that. It will be installed automatically. If it prompts of Office installation disc then keep that ready with you.

Does this work for a trial edition of Microsoft Office. My client needs a solution for the same. His edition of Office 2007 does not read mdi document. The other way I have is to give him a third party mdi viewer. But I am keeping this option as last. I had checked the mdi file by opening them directly through Microsoft Office. But that did not worked. Also I want to know that does configuration of printer is necessary for getting this component activated in Office. I do not have anything attached here.

Re: Microsoft Document Imaging (mdi) in Office 2007

I had purchased a new vista system which came with Office 2007 trial edition. I removed that and installed Office 2003 Pro. It was fine and setup was successful. There were no errors at all. Now when I open .mdi files they did not open up. In my old computer I can simply see those files. But in the new one it is not working. I went to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program and then click on Office. I had click on Add/Change to configure Microsoft Document Imaging. After installation the mdi files started working. I had not configured my printer. So it looks that it doe snot need a printer driver at all and I think it will also work in Trail edition of Office. What you need is a XPS printer drive in your system.

There are number of software which can read mdi files and they work nicely. There is no need to rely on office. Those who are using trail edition can download MDI Viewer from internet. They are light and gives you similar support. Still if you want to add that as a utility in Microsoft Office then you can find that through Add/Remove component settings in Control Panel. You have to click on + sign to see the it next to Office tools. A repair setup can also help you to add the component back in Office.

I would also like to access MDI, but seem to have lost the option to
    change/delete in the add/remove in programs, any suggestions in how to
    recover that so I can try this?

Explain "lost the option". Are you on a company computer?

the above fix works for Office 2007 Pro - saved me from tearing all my hair out!

This is same problem I had. I did go to add/remove programs and added MODI and it is showing now in my start menu. However, the modi is not showing as a printer. How do I add it as a printer?
    Thanks!
    Lori

I did not have this problem. As soon as I connected my computer to the USB port on the back of the printer/scanner, it recognized it & went on to the internet to find & install the latest driver. I'm on Windows 7 (unfortunately). It would print but would not scan until I installed the Microsoft Document Imaging program. I assume that you have tried the "Add a printer" tab in the "Devices and printers" option from the Start Button. You could try unplugging the USB cable & reconnecting whilst your computer is switched on.

My physical printer was fine, but the Microsoft Office Document Imaging is a virtual printer so there is no plug in to the computer.
    Thanks!
    Lori

Follow these steps if you only want to install the MDI Viewer:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run. Type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Click the Currently installed programs on the 2007 Office version you have installed.
    3. Click Change.
    4. Click Add or Remove Features and then click Next.
    5. Expand Office Tools.
    6. Expand Microsoft Office Document Imaging.
    7. Click scanners, optical character recognition (OCR) and indexing service filter, and then click My Computer Run from.
    8. Click Next.

Dear Mr. Fragman,

your given information regarding above mention title is very helpful for me.

Thanks

Regards and best wishes
    Shafiq