Thread: Error 57A Microsoft Office 2007 SP1 failed to install

Error 57A Microsoft Office 2007 SP1 failed to install

I am having Windows Vista Home Premium installed in my computer. I had installed Microsoft Office 2007. Now after installation I am trying to run Office SP1 Update. On checking Windows Update it looks that it was downloaded well, but the installation simply fails. The error code that I can see on the screen is 57A. I had tried to re-download it back again but again the setup failed. What does the error code means. Is there some issue with my system.

I too got the issue with Office 2007 SP1 update. I found a similar thread on web. But there was no proper information listed in that. I had checked on Microsoft forums about that, it looks like the update is buggy . What if we ignore the update and do not use the same. On re-installing the update I receive a registry error. The error was 1402 setup can't open registry keys. No sufficient permission to access registry please contact Microsoft. What does the error means. What is the permission think. My Windows is a license copy and I expect that update would work well. The update use to install automatically on its own everytime. But now it is stucked.

Re: 2007 Office Suite Service Pack 1 failed to install Error Code

The error is related to registry permission. When you are not in admin account you cannot install software or make any changes to the computer. In the same way the update configuration failed due to permission issue. Try to run a manual setup of update through Administrator account. I had seen in the logs. The error clearly says about registry ownershop issue. I had set the permission of the same for everyone. The update installed properly without giving the error. A number of time new updates or installation make registry changes which cause this issue.

The problem lies in Vista not in update. The update will fix a number of issues in Vista and it is important to install. You can try this. Download the update from Microsoft website. Right click on that and then click on Run as > Administrator. That might do the job I think. If the file permission or ownership is corrupted that is done by mostly virus, you will not be able to install this update. You can go directly in registry and modify the permission settings. There are ample of articles on web that can guide you to work with registry permissions. Create a restore point before making any chances. So that if something happens you can restore stuff back. I had created a file to reset registry settings. I found that solution on web. For that you will need to download a simple utility called as subinacl.exe. Now copy the below content in a notepad file. Save the file with reset.cmd name. Right click on that and then click on run as > administrator. Remember that the file name should be reset.cmd only not reset.cmd.txt. It will take some time and then try to run the updates back again.
    Code:
    cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
    Source :- Having trouble installing the Vista SP1 update? Reset your registry permissions!

That was quiet helpful. I have 3 systems at my office. This thing worked on the two. But the last one is giving more issue here. I had created restore point already. After running reset.cmd in the 3rd system, I receive a registry error. I found the error listed in the Log file located inside C drive. The error was some 1402 the setup is not able to open some registry keys. What should I do now. The update still fails to work properly after resetting the file permission.

I have some doubt with the reset.cmd file. First when I run the file my UAC was disabled on its own. Is that fine or should I renable the same back again. Second the first time when update failed back again I restored the system to old settings. Then I run the Repair setup through Office installation disk. The repair was fine. After running udpates back, they were installed automatically. There was no need to use the reset.cmd back again. It looks the update needs Office installation disc for copying or replacing some files. If you are trying to run the update keep the disk in your computer and then run the setup.

Want help with two systems at my home. There are two users created on each of them. When I try to switch the user I am getting the admin screen only. The other users file are still available, but I cannot go to the old login screen. All this happened after running that reset.cmd file. I went to control panel and created the accounts back again. But it is not at all excepting it. To fix the same I removed the old accounts and created new. But it was not allowing me until I run system restore. Hope this file is not buggy. I just found a link below which I found on Microsoft. This will be helpful for those who are trying to locate help on the same on server update issues.

Using SECEDIT to Force a Group Policy Refresh Immediately