Thread: Deleting unneeded Windows Updates

Deleting unneeded Windows Updates

There are some list of updates in my system. I am using Windows Vista here. In Control Panel > Windows Update > Update history I can see a number of updates that are quiet not needed. Can I remove them all one by one. How to find which updates are not needed at all. I anyone want I can put the entire list here. I hope this is not going to affect the system performance. My computer is working slow, and I think the updates are cause of the same. Is there a any tool which act as a update cleaner.

Re: Deleting unneeded Windows Updates

It depends on your. Some updates might be important. The update history itself show you a small description next to the installed updates. You can find which which is not important and remove the same. Do not touch any security updates. You can face error if you played with any important updates. If you do not want more updates you can do one thing. Go to Control Panel > Automatic Updates and disable the same. That would be much better I think.

Click on Start > Run and then type cmd in that. In that type net stop wuauserv hit enter. A folder will be opened. The folder location is C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. All updates are mostly downloaded at this place. You can delete them all if you want. You can also run System Restore to get old settings back. This will improve your system performance a bit. Check in Task Manager what services are running in the background and reduce some of them if not needed. Also go in Control Panel and click on Uninstall Program. Remove all not required programs from the system.

If you remove the files from SoftwareDistribution folder you might loose all your updates. Windows Update will try to fetch each of them back again one by one. That is the reason I always perform manual update. There is a option in Windows Update by which you can assign only to check for update not to download. You can then allow which updates you want and ignore others. That is quiet the best way to get fresh updates instantly. Deleting updates does not create any issue, but some program which rely on the update can give error while working. Set Custom Install mode on Automatic Updates that would be much better.

I have the same "update" trying to load on mine (same thing with disk, etc.) I have Vista 64 Home Premium. I don't have a run option but I typed cmd into the search field and pulled up the DOS screen for cmd.exe. I typed in what you had and it said "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied." I, too, am tired of that stupid update sitting in my queue and want nothing more than to get rid of it. How do I do it for Vista 64?
    Sorry - I tried to edit but got the neverending circle!
    Just wanted to add that I get this when I type cmd.exe
    c:\Users\USERNAME>
    Additionally, this was a new build I did from scratch and always had Vista 64...

Quote Originally Posted by columbia93 View Post
    I have the same "update" trying to load on mine (same thing with disk, etc.) I have Vista 64 Home Premium. I don't have a run option but I typed cmd into the search field and pulled up the DOS screen for cmd.exe. I typed in what you had and it said "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied." I, too, am tired of that stupid update sitting in my queue and want nothing more than to get rid of it. How do I do it for Vista 64?
    Sorry - I tried to edit but got the neverending circle!
    Just wanted to add that I get this when I type cmd.exe
    c:\Users\USERNAME>
    Additionally, this was a new build I did from scratch and always had Vista 64...
    The following issue may cause to the error message:
    1. Time Synchronization problem.
    2. Missing permission to access the remote computer (Share, NTFS, GPO).
    3. Firewall and/or third party product may eliminate connection to the remote computer.
    4. The computer account isn't disable (Or have expired computer account password) or doesn’t exiting in the domain.
    5. Active Directory replication problem may occur.

Check and report back with details.