Thread: Cannot install Office 2007 SP2 upgrade

Cannot install Office 2007 SP2 upgrade

There are numerous thread which had already discussed on this issue, but I am creating new for getting better answers and explaining my problem. I am using Office 2007. I had updated that to SP2. The file is quiet large size to download. Around 290MB is big enough and takes time also. But when the update is downloaded it gave a error message at the time of setup. It was related to some data base corruption issue. I do not remember the error clearly. I had re-installed Office 2007 back again thought it would be some internal error. But still the error is intact. I had sent a error report and yet not received any kind of update on it. Now I do not want remove office back again, as I worry this will not work properly. The update looks buggy and has generated more error in the system. Some of them are listed below. I am sure this error is common with many other also. How to fix this and get SP2 installed properly in the system.
    Error: Type: MsiOpenDatabase call failed.. MsiAPICallFailure ErrorCode: 110(0x6e).
    Error: Type: MsiOpenDatabase call failed.. MsiAPICallFailure ErrorCode: 110(0x6e).
    Catalyst execution finished: 05/02/2009 12:07:31. Return code: 30050. Exception caught: MsiAPICallFailure. PERF: TickCount=32508828 Name=RunSetup Description=End function

Re: Cannot install Office 2007 SP2 upgrade

The update looks buggy. Try to run the setup in Admin account once and if you have Office installation cd keep that in your DVD drive. Other than using the Automatic update mode you can go with manual update download. The below link is of a small fix that can provide you help to deal with error. Just download and run that. You will find a log file in c drive which will give you detailed information on the update issue. You can then send the log file to Microsoft to diagnose the issue. Sometime the issue is also related to Windows installer. We can do nothing in that. In Windows Vista the installer version is 3.1. If your system has lower than that, then update will not work. The issue is not noticed in Vista system as they have the right installer. To find the installer version go ton Start > Run and type msiexec/? in that and hit enter. You will find the version on top. Try to get the most latest version of installer only and then run the update.

Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642)
    Windows Installer Download
    KB958655 Updated Related to Installer issue

I had downloaded those patches which you had linked above. I had also check the log file. But the error is still intact. I am using Windows XP here. Can posting log file here will give me more help. My system has XP SP3 and Office Pro 2007 SP1. The error is still the same which is faced by a above user. Some database corruption issue. It took long time to download the file, and due to this error I had kept the thing back on download. I think ignoring this update will work to some extent.

There are tons of workaround, but no intact solution that can fix the issue. I had sent the log file to Microsoft and waiting for the reply. This is one of the most common issue faced by a number of users but still there is no right fix or patch available for the same. I had removed Office and installed the same a number of time, but that did not worked properly. The log file looks a bit complicated to read or else I had tried to diagnose the errors. That did not worked well. One thing I would like to mention here. My friend owns a XP system. At first the update failed to installed with that same databse error. Second he created a new account in the system with admin right. Then he inserted the Office disc in the PC, and re-launched the update. it worked. The same is not working in my system.

That is not actually the right answer or it happens just accidentally. SP2 updates gives issue only with older system while in the newer it works fine. I had gone through a tons of articles on Microsoft forums, and tried many things but none of those stuff worked out. That is the reason I am not flooding this reply with microsoft links. I had kept the copy of that update with me. The size of the same is 290MB. Because it is a bit irritating to download the same again and again.