Thread: office 2007 encountered an error during setup

office 2007 encountered an error during setup

I assembled a new desktop computer with Windows Vista 32bit. Later I tried installing Office 2007 but the installer freezed after running the setup for about 20%. I restarted the computer and tried re-installing it again but this time the wizard quit with an error message saying "Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 encountered an error during setup". I searched for the problem on internet and found few guys saying to delete a file “rgstrtn.lck” that prevents users from re-installing Office suites. They had also given the steps for deleting this, I followed the same but I was unable to even delete this file.

Has anyone ever came through this problem ? Any suggestions please ?

Re: 2007 office encountered an error during setup

I am sorry if am posting in a very old thread but am too frustrated with the installation problems. Thanks for starting this discussion CreepeRer and you are not along with the issue. Even am struggling with the same. According to the steps I found we need to type the following command “attrib -h rgstrtn.lck” in order to delete the file rgstrtn.lck but when I type the same, it comes up saying “Path not found”.

I found a KB article with instructions including deleting the appropriate files through regedit if we cannot delete them manually as was able to delete it finally. Later I started the installation again but still I wasn’t able to go ahead as it kept saying me an error occurred during setup and there is no error code.

Is there anyone with working solution for this ?

Re: office 2007 encountered an error during setup

No problem mangochutney, anyway the question must have the solution. I was too facing the same problem with my Enterprises edition long before and like you even I was getting “Path Not Found” error while trying to delete rgstrtn.lck from command prompt. Finally, after lots of research I managed to delete it in some other way. Here is what you need to do:

Go to Start, click and open Run
    Now type: %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft Help
    Here you need to find “rgstrtn.lck”
    Simply select and delete it. You will be able to delete it from here.

Thanks a lot for the help buddy. I tried the same but I wasn’t able to find any file named rgstrtn.lck at this location. Anyways, meanwhile I was searching somewhere and I found a site with steps that helped me to delete it at last. Let me share the same here hoping it can help someone else too.

• They said me to delete the entire Microsoft Help folder (where you sent me to delete the file). And here is how to do it:
    • Click Start > RUN > CMD
    • Type the following CMD and press Enter: cd "%allusersprofile%\Application Data"
    • Now type the following command and hit enter: rd /s "microsoft help"

That’s it. Now we need to restart the computer and start the office 2007 installation.

Hi, I have the same problem, and tried to delete the Microsoft Help folder, but when I did this it told me ''access denied'' for each field I was trying to delete. Any ideas?

To run the command you need to start the command prompt as Administrator. To tun the command prompt as Administrator you need to go to Start> Programs> Accessories> Command Prompt. Now right click on the Command Prompt and select "Run As" Option from there and enter the Administrator name and password to start command prompt in administrative mode. After that work with the above given step that will help you to delete Microsoft help Folder.

This worked great for me. Thanks to all who helped!!

When I type in the above it gets me to a prompt that says "Microsoft help, are you sure <Y/N>?

if I type only Y it then goes back to the previous prompt. If I type <y> it just repeats the are you sure prompt, the same happens if I type "y"... any further help, I'm having the same problem as the others on this page.

When I type in the above it gets me to a prompt that says "Microsoft help, are you sure <Y/N>?

if I type only Y it then goes back to the previous prompt. If I type <y> it just repeats the are you sure prompt, the same happens if I type "y"... any further help, I'm having the same problem as the others on this page.
    Edit/Delete Message
    What are you trying to do actually??
    are you deleting the entire Microsoft Help folder?? or you are trying to uninstall office 2007??

I would like to delete the help folder as I have been unable to get office 2007 to install as well. Thank you.