Thread: Office 2003 Prof. Install...file cc561401.cab not found...please help?

Office 2003 Prof. Install...file cc561401.cab not found...please help?

Hope you guys understood what I meant in the title. It is my Windows XP system on which I am trying to install Office 2003 Professional. But every time I run the setup it gives me an error saying “can't find file cc561401.cab” and the setup quits. I tried this 4 times but the same result every time.

I searched for some help regarding this on this forum but dint got any. Can any one please tell me where can I download this file individually ?

Sorry to interfere but I am too having a problem with Office home and student 2007. I bought this yesterday itself, there is a product key on the back of the CD. But when I enter these keys it says Invalid Product key. I don’t know wht it is happening thought the disk is genuine. Please help

Re: Office 2003 Prof. Install...file cc561401.cab not found...please help?

Quote Originally Posted by Illeana View Post
    Hope you guys understood what I meant in the title. It is my Windows XP system on which I am trying to install Office 2003 Professional. But every time I run the setup it gives me an error saying “can't find file cc561401.cab” and the setup quits. I tried this 4 times but the same result every time.

I searched for some help regarding this on this forum but dint got any. Can any one please tell me where can I download this file individually ?
    The file cc561401.cab is not missing, it use to be actually in the CD itself. Such problem occurs due to some problem when Windows attempts to cache certain files during install. Here are the steps using which you can prevent this error and complete the installation successfully:

Insert your Office installation disk and navigate to the following location:
    E:\ office\files\setup\setup.ini (Considering E is your DVD drive)
    Open the setup.ini file in Notepad or Wordpad and locate the following line (under the [Cache] heading): “CDCACHE=AUTO”
    Now edit and change it to “CDCACHE=0”
    Save this file and close the notepad/wordpad.

Now restart the installation, hopefully you wont be getting any error messages. Also remember that if the setup.ini file wont allow you do any changes in the file, you can copy the entire folders/files of CD in a folder on your hard drive, make the changes and Run Setup.exe from this folder itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy B View Post
    Sorry to interfere but I am too having a problem with Office home and student 2007. I bought this yesterday itself, there is a product key on the back of the CD. But when I enter these keys it says Invalid Product key. I don’t know wht it is happening thought the disk is genuine. Please help
    You should checkout the product keys properly, better use magnifying glass. Because most of the time people get confused between B and 8 (eight), similarly with 0 (zero) and O (oo).
    Last edited by Maqbool; 13-09-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added instructions

The only problem with editing the .ini file is the file is set read-only, and when I try to uncheck this attribute I am refused. So saving with the "0" is not an option.

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by doggod42 View Post
    The only problem with editing the .ini file is the file is set read-only, and when I try to uncheck this attribute I am refused. So saving with the "0" is not an option.

Any other suggestions?
    Right click on the .ini file and take out the tick mark of read only and then see if you can edit it. If that doesnt work then follow the article on "How to troubleshoot an update installation by using log files in Office 2003" from here - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...d=2488&sid=680

As I said, Windows will not allow me to uncheck the read-only attribute. Reading the log files for an update would not seem to be relevant here inasmuch as this is not an update but an original installation. Thanks for trying to help, though.

That's because you don't have permission to modify the file attributes. This type of problem appear if you have too many accounts in your system or if there is a security problem. The only thing I can suggest is to try to modify the attribute through admin account. You can also grant your user profile a full permission to change or modify complete folder attributes.

I appreciate all the help people have given here. After stepping back and taking a look I decided that by far the easiest solution is just to forget about Office altogether and download OpenOffice. Boom, problem solved!