Thread: Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 won't install on terminal server

Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 won't install on terminal server

We have a small business terminal server with Windows Server 2003 where am trying to work with Office 2007 Enterprises. Well I tried installing the same here but after the installation when I try running any office application, it just wont work. Tried with Excel, Word or PowerPoint, none of them are working. They say

“Unable to run in terminal server mode. Contact the Microsoft administrator.”

I don’t have any more idea about this. Please help.

Re: Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 won't install on terminal server

You need to do some customization in Office in order to run them on Terminal Server. Here are the steps:

• Go to Start, click RUN and type “Office installation CD \setup /admin” without quotes, press Enter to open Office Customization Tool (OCT).
    • Now click on Set Feature Installation States in the navigation bar on the left side of the screen, and then select the feature that you do not want to install in the tree on the right.
    • Set the installation state of the selected feature to Not Available, Hidden, or Locked. If more than one of these settings is needed, the menu must be accessed again to select the additional setting.
    • Repeat steps 2 through 3 for each feature that you do not want to install.
    • Set any additional options that you want in the OCT.
    • Select Save As on the File menu to create the MSP file. It should be saved in the \Updates folder unless another location is specified in the Config.xml file.
    • Install the 2007 Office suite with the .MSP file.

For more info on this, check out this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311241

When I am trying to do the same I am getting a error. I am here trying the same Office 2007 edition. When I try to do the same I am getting a error that this copy of Office cannot be used on terminal server. I am not able to get the reason why. This is a newly purchased office suite which must work. I had a printout of entire installation procedure and I am following the same. But at the end I got this error and the setup crashes. How to fix this thing. Should I change the setup.

This type of issue appear if there is a old or any other edition of office suite is already installed. You will have to remove it first and then only you can go ahead with the new setup. Once you are done with that then checkout the KB article link that is available in the second post from top. This page has a full information and detail about the installation process. You can also go ahead with customizing the office setup but that can be a bit complicated procedure.