Thread: Error message on installation: setup cannot find setup.exe

Error message on installation: setup cannot find setup.exe

It really sounds me funny, I mean installation wizard is unable to find setup.exe. Than how the installation started. Anyways, it is my brand new Office Enterprises 2007 CD I received just couple of hours ago. When I try to install it on my XP based computer I can see the progress bar reaches about 20% but suddenly stops and give me the error mentioned in the title that is “Setup cannot find setup.exe. Browse to a valid installation source, and then click OK”.

Well I know the setup.exe is in the root of the CD, I browse and pointed wizard to the same but yet the same error. I tried searching web for some solution and found that we can install the same by copying the CD contents to a folder on harddrive. Well I tried the same as well but still the error persists. Someone please help me out.

Re: Error message on installation: setup cannot find setup.exe

Yeah, in most cases copying and running setup.exe form a folder use to fix this problem as it occurs if the CD is not clean or due to some reason dvd drive in unable to read the disk. But as you already tried it, I think you should now contact Microsoft for help regarding this. Do you have any earlier version of office or trial installed on your system ? if yes, make sure you have uninstalled it and cleaned its registry as well using disk cleanup wizard prior installing this. For more help you should also check this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

The disc is damaged. Due to which you are getting that error. You have to find a proper setup to get rid of the issue. You can try to download a trial version of Microsoft Office from web. It is available on the official site. Download that and install Office through that. You can later on you use your original license key to activate the product. I did this before when I landed into similar problem. Office DVD is not working at all. I had used the trail setup to install and later on I use my key to activate and it work. There is no issue now.

I had seen this error is common with office setup. This kind of error appear if Microsoft Office is not properly installed in a system. There can be a older edition in your system which is not appropriate. You can try using a good uninstaller software to get rid of this issue. Just download one and run the tool to wipe out unnecessary files from your system. If this does not work then the next option left is to go with system restore. This tool will revert back the old settings through which your system might much more stable.