Thread: SETUP.INI file missing or invalid

SETUP.INI file missing or invalid

I am having a Windows XP laptop which was running with Office 2003. Due to some problem I required to uninstall the same from Add and remove programs. Now when I’m trying to install Office 2003 again with the same CD, it is giving me an error saying “Setup.ini file missing or invalid.”

I tried to restart my system several times but that doesn’t seem working. Can any one of you please help me out here ?

RE: SETUP.INI file missing or invalid

Possibly while removing the office you might have deleted the setup file hence you getting the same error or there might be some files left from the earlier version that is conflicting with the new installation. Well what you can do here is download and install Windows Installer Cleanup Utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. once installed launch it from Start > programs and see if you can see Office 2003 in the list. If it is there, delete it completely from the system. Now try launching the setup again.

Also try to extract the setup.exe from Entsetup.exe to the root of the Office 2003 install and then run setup.exe /settings Files\Setup\setupstd.ini . See if it works.

Re: SETUP.INI file missing or invalid

You can try to order a replacement CD from microsoft if you had the original CD of Office 2003 with you before. And after getting it try to copy all the files in your hard drive and then try to install from the drive itself. Below is the contact details of microsoft support:

U.S. customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at the following phone number:
    (800) 360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time

Canadian customers can contact the Canadian Order Desk at the following number:
    (800) 933-4750, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time

Re: SETUP.INI file missing or invalid

I have heard about some issues with the new drives and office installation disks. You can try to create a folder on the new computer and then copy the entire disks contents into the folder along with the hidden or system files. After that you need to run setup.exe program directly from the folder. It looks to me that the disk read issues are usually happening with the installation program.