Thread: add-ins can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator

add-ins can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator

I am using Office 2007 on Windows 7. Since I installed this Office I have been using office live connector add-in and was working great without problem. Don’t know what went wrong yesterday few applications including Excel stopped using the same. It shows Add-in is disconnected whereas it is still working with MS Word. I tried to enable it again from the COM Manage Add-ins but as soon as I click the box, it gives me an error saying

“This add-in is installed for all users on this computer, and can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator.”

Ridiculous, it is not allowing me to do though I am the only Admin of this system having just one user account and that is the Admin. First it stopped working all of a sudden and second not allowing me to enable again, asking for Admin though I am the one. Please help me to get rid of this annoying problem.

Re: add-ins can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator

First of all if you are working on a non admin account then it is correct to an extent that you cannot disconnect the same due to low on rights. Now if you are still having the issue then you can remove and again add the same to your system. You can try this on your system. Go in under Tools and then click on Templates and Add-ins checked whether there is your addin is listed or not. .

This kind of issue appear if you are running the same in limited account. Right click on the office application and choose run as and from that select administrator. This will provide full access to the tool to run. You can here try creating a new admin account and install the add-in back. Then re-try to launch the same and see what output you are getting. Looks like some kind of bug with the office suite. Try running a repair setup of office suite, this might also help in fixing the issue.

It is correct that the problem only occur when you are trying to run the application in limited account. You can configure the same to run in Administrator always. Sometime permission is denied due to internal windows settings. You will have to first provide admin privileges to the office suite and then test back whether it works well or not. From the start menu you have to first locate the application. Right click on the same and choose properties. In that go in the compatibility tab. At the bottom side you can see a button Change Settings for all user. Just above that you can see a small check-box "Run this program as an administrator". This lies below Privilege level. Add a tick on the same and then test back. This will resolve the issue.