Thread: Can't reinstall Office Pro 2003

Can't reinstall Office Pro 2003

I am having a Dell Dimension 5250 system that came with pre-loaded Office 2003 and was working fine. Yesterday suddenly don’t know what went wrong my Excel stopped working. Everytime I tried opening any excel file, it use to crash. Without thinking anything I just uninstalled Office 2003 with the help of windows installation cleanup utility. But the problem now I faced is I was not able to get my Installation (OEM) CD that came with my system.

Hence I borrowed a Office 2003 disk from one of my friend and tried installing on my laptop but seems like it doesn’t want to get installed on my system. Every time I start installation, it gets failed after completing about 35% progress bar. I tried rebooting yet the same problem, I tried installing in Safe Mode but still the same problem, installation fails. One thing I would like to mention is that while installing it in Safe Mode it gives me an error saying

“System administrator has set policies to prevent this installation”

Damn, I’m the only administrator of this system and I’ve never set any such policies. How come is this error occurring on my system ? I hope someone can help me out of this error and let me know how I can install Office again.

Re: Can't reinstall Office Pro 2003

First of all no matter you borrowed a CD from your friend, if it gets installed anyhow, how you gonna activate it ? Remember yours was OEM product and they are not transferable. Also I don’t think your friend’s product key is gonna work on your dell system. You will need to talk with you Vendor itself.

As far as the error “System administrator has set policies to prevent this installation” is concerned, you can fix it by going to Start and typing “Local Security Policy” (Win 7 or Vista), Click on Software Restriction Policies.. Now in the right pane look for a key named ‘enforcement’. Make it to ‘All users except local administrators’ and OK. Close Local Security Policy and restart your system.

For more help on this, you can also checkout these threads:
    The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation
    "the system administrator has set policies to prevent installation
    The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation